🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Coming back to the rankings

Started by
2 comments, last by crouilla 24 years, 3 months ago
I don''t know if you guys wrote your own message board software or just used some pre-written stuff, but I was wondering if it would be possible to add a set of radio buttons to the message posting screen that basically allow you to select if the post is a "question", an "answer", or "comment"... The reason is that people look towards the people with "Zealot" and such on their name to get answers... If someone got that ranking simply because they ask a lot of questions, they probably wouldn''t be too helpful (not that asking a lot of questions is a bad thing -- it''s the only way to learn). However, if that ranking was based upon the number of answers they gave, then it''s more likely that someone with a Zealot ranking will be better able to answer questions. Just an idea. -Chris ---<<>>--- Chris Rouillard Software Engineer crouilla@hotmail.com
---<<>>--- Chris Rouillard Software Engineercrouilla@hotmail.com
Advertisement
Hmmmm... that''s a decent idea, but I really don''t think it matters too much, since you normally will get more than one reply to your post if you are asking a question. Because of that, I don''t reall know if it''s really worth anyone''s time to change it, but if they want to it''d be fine.

Oh yeah, one more thing: if someone for some really strange reason wanted to post questions but still increase their rank (why?) all they would have to do would be call it an answer. Just a thought.

If you code it, they will come...

Commander M
http://commanderm.8m.com
cmndrm@commanderm.8m.com
I prefer to read the actual post (or parts of it if so) to find out if it''s a question or an answer and if it''s worth...eh...reading...although, I try stay away from posts like the Hasbro suit post to be able to keep my job.

There are actually a question mark icon and an exclamation icon if you look.

Note: Don''t judge the importance of this message by my "status"

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
The ranks were chosen, as much as possible, to reflect the user''s level activity, not their knowledge. There just isn''t any practical way to rate users based on their knowledge level. Usually, if someone posts an answer to a question that is wrong, they are corrected by others. You all do a marvelous job of providing accurate information to people as quickly as possible.

Dave

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement