🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Support From HW Industry For Hobbyist, Comments?

Started by
0 comments, last by Marauderz 24 years, 3 months ago
I''d just like to ask how everyone''s experience is when talking to hardware companies for developer support when you''re just a hobbyist programmers. The worst experience I''d ever had was with Creative when they first launched their SBLive! I was so interested in developing for it I went out and bought one, then sent email out to Creative to request for an EAX SDK. A few mails later it seemed like the definition of an SBLive Devkit includes the card, the 4 point surround speaker set and the various documentation. And get this, they wouldn''t sell this package (at a special discount) to ''garage developers'' since they (Creative) feel that the ''garage developers'' never give anything in return! Luckily I still managed to get the documentation eventually, but..... must they treat me like a con without even asking? The best treatment I''ve got were from 3Dfx (before they went public) and Act Labs, they didn''t care that I was a hobbyist they answered all my queries and gave me sufficient support IMHO. So to those companies, I salute you! To those who just put down on us hobbyist...... -------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
Advertisement
I think 3dfx still gives the hobbist a nice amount support... (Giving advice and source out) =)

I haven''t run into anything negative from any company yet though.. I guess mainly becuase so many have released thier SDKs..

----------------------------
"To err is human... To really foul things up requires a computer.."
----------------------------
----------------------------"To err is human... To really foul things up requires a computer.."----------------------------

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement