🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Multiplayer or Singleplayer?

Started by
5 comments, last by Charlie McSow 24 years, 2 months ago
What do you guys think? What is better, multiplayer or singleplayer? Do you prefer online gaming or do you want to kill computer enemies? And what influence should the game type have on the game design? Charlie McSow /Paradigm Game Design www.rarebyte.de.st
CharlieGame DesignerRarebytehttp://www.rarebyte.com
Advertisement
I prefer multiplayer, although single player is good too. It is hard to beat the feeling of gibbing someone on the other side of the country (or planet).
Of course, the answer is, "it depends."

Some games are awesome in multiplayer, and some are better single player.

Personally, if the game-play is good, I''ll play either. I do lean to multiplayer a bit, simply because the AI in many games isn''t challenging.

---- --- -- -
Blue programmer needs food badly. Blue programmer is about to die!
More and more I think that game should be either multiplayer, or single player, not a mixture. Before I didn''t think this way, but pure-multiplayer games are so much better than mixtures, because the network code is GOOD, and MP features are excellent. And in other hand, look at Baldurs Gate: Pure SP game (and MP is just... well, just a MP, nothing fancy).

Well, Paladin, you''re right if you say that mixtures are often bad.
Concerning our game PARADIGM, we first wanted to make a Q3 style game, a pure-multiplayer.
A few weeks ago, I played the demo version of Soldier Of Fortune and I must say, the single player of that game is the best I''ve ever seen.
This was the reason for our decision to do a single player too.
We are trying to do the best code for both multiplayer and singleplayer.

Charlie McSow /Paradigm Game Design
www.rarebyte.de.st
CharlieGame DesignerRarebytehttp://www.rarebyte.com
If you can get good network code, use it and make a multiplayer game. Chances are however that the game will not be as popular as some of the big ones (quake, uo, ect..) so keep a single player aspect. If you make a multiplayer-only game that maybe 100 people will have, it will be hard for them to find each other and actually play. Coop games are always fun, anyone recall Diablo??

OneEyeLessThanNone
- I''m gonna pluck out whatever eye I have left, need sleep.
I think that multiplayer should by only a secondary part to work on SP, and it should be released as patch after the game is ready. This might really sound stupid, but usually this gives much more time for developer to improve network code and stuff, and during the major developement the major part in working is creating a complicated singleplayer world and new cool ideas.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement