🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Experiences about horror games?

Started by
15 comments, last by Paladin 24 years, 1 month ago
OK. For me, the first one was probably Doom, it was great Also Alone In The Dark was pretty nice, made me really jump from chair couple of times. After that... years passed (I think), and finally Half-Life gave me some chills. Any experiences about other games or personal experiences? C64 had couple of horror games also, and those were REALLY freaky... except that graphics were horrible, but sounds were pretty good.. Actually too good for me, seven years old child, who was sitting alone in the dark with computer, while parents were gone from home...

Advertisement
I had no chance to play computer games at the age of 7. The first game I played very much was Prince of Persia.

Visit our homepage: www.rarebyte.de.st

GA
Visit our homepage: www.rarebyte.de.stGA
yeah, GA, Prince of Persia was great, wasn''t it?
we played it 24/7

Charlie McSow /Paradigm Game Design
www.rarebyte.de.st

CharlieGame DesignerRarebytehttp://www.rarebyte.com
System Shock 2...
JeranonGame maker wannabe.
system shock 1 (the classic)
Originally not a PC game, but the Resident Evil series freaked me out a whole lot

Silent Hill (PSX) is quite chilling and horrifying too.
Alone in the Dark really scared me and introduced me to the horror game genre ... then I bought Silent Hill, which was basically the epitome of "disturbing." Man! And THEN came ResidentEvil2, which was a NEW kind of horror gaming.

Where Alone In the Dark and RE2 are kind of jump out at you "what-the-hell''s-around-the-next-corner" kind of scary, games like Silent Hill really chill you and stick with you.

I''m planning on writing a horror game myself one day ... one of the Silent Hill kind...

Alex
Atypical Interactive
www.atypical-interactive.com
------------------------------Changing the future of adventure gaming...Atypical Interactive
Just to add a note
In reading Descovery.com in the portion of brain works they mentioned how the Brain can become attune to consistancy.
A unusual noice or visual effect will jar the mind

So as they mentioned most great horror movies take advantage of this with sudden noices, Flashes, Ect to keep the audience in true grippin mode. I think the effect can be jarring for 3 seconds befor you become attune

Thats the Article. So using that knowladge in a Horror video game would be to your advantage

http://www.discover.com/brainworks/boredom.html

quote: Original post by Jeranon

System Shock 2...

I agree... few parts had me jumping from the chair and almost peeing down my leg. And I think I am a little old for that. Better than any horror flick to come out in like five years.

Not a horror game but - Dungeon Master from FTL on the ST.

Got to the second level while playing at night. Found a door and just knew (as in every horror flick) that there would be something on the other side. Weapons ready I opened to door to find..... a plant. A large plant. Laughing I proceeded to hack it to bits with my swords.
Then it screamed and I jumped out of my skin and nearly pissed myself.

That was my first encounter with something called a screamer which attacked with a scream (like the sonic dogs in HL). I had fallen into the oldest trap in the book. Get them tense, then difuse the tension and then hit them with a shock.

Dan Marchant
www.obscure.co.uk
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement