🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Loading 3DS files, pls help...

Started by
10 comments, last by RoosterJM 24 years, 1 month ago
How do you read in a 3d studio created file? I cant find any info anywhere...OpenGL.org was supposed to have some info but i couldnt find it...any help would be appeciated..thanks
Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining? -George Wallace To make mistakes is human; to stumble is commonplace; to be able to laugh at yourself is maturity. -William Arthur Ward
Advertisement
I know that they posted news about a .3ds reader. Just browse through their news history.

----------
Drago
osu!
I already looked for you ;-).

http://home1.pacific.net.sg/~gishsh05/

----------
Drago
osu!
Check out the previous questions before posting a new one !
You''ll find all you ever dreamt of in a tiny program called 3D Exploration (found it in a post of the begining of the month) check out their site:

http://www.xdsoft.com/explorer/

--

Computers are not intelligent, they just think they are ...

michaK
--Computers are not intelligent, they just think they are ...michaK
3D Exploration creates a .c file with the coord''s of the model, I personally don''t like this. I prefer to have a loader that loads the .3ds files at runtime rather than have them included in the exe.

----------
Drago
osu!
You could convert the .3ds files to .asc (within 3dsmax or with 3d exploration) or .x (directx files) which are just asci files and very easy to read. Even I with my very limited programming skills was able to write a ''reader'' for both .asc and .x.
I think the .x file format is better as you can save the normals in the file so you don''t have to calculate them. In the asc files you only get the vertices and faces.

Quo
I''ve got an early alpha version of my 3ds reader on my site. It imports the hole data for a scene (lights, materials, mesh objects, keyframes etc.)

www.duskengine.de
It''s impossible to download from your website..., all i can download for both files is 232 kb
Also, there is a 3DS file toolkit available in the developer section of the Kinetix message board, under the "SDK downloads" (or something similar) section. It would be nice if you could just download the whole SDK though...

-Liquid
If you like to download the DUSK ENGINE then use
GETRIGHT otherwise it''s not possible to download at all!

www.duskengine.de <- use GetRight!

I''m not stupid I''m from the
Netherlands! ;)
I''m not stupid I''m from theNetherlands! ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement