🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

OpenGL and Lightmaps

Started by
1 comment, last by Jherax 24 years, 1 month ago
Greets, Does anyone have any information about using lightmaps with OpenGL apps? I know games such as the Quake series use these, but there seems to be a lack of information about them on the net. Any help would be appreciated. Thx. Tristan ''Jherax'' Blease jherax@planetquake.com
Tristan ''Jherax'' Bleasejherax@planetquake.com
Advertisement
Light maps are just textures really, but with the static scene lighting calculated. To generate them you have to have all the static scene geometry and lighting set up and then you calculate the lighting for that using one of the better known rendering techniques (offline) such as raytracing or radiosity. The information this generates is saved as textures to overlay over the textures for the object, so it''s really just multi-texturing...
or something like that anyway....

Check out my shadows page
and send me some feedback
Check out my shadows page and send me some feedback
Ermm... perhaps I should have rephrased my question. I know that lightmaps are textures (the pixel values of the lightmap texture are multiplied with those of the source texture). What I am really looking for is how to generate those textures . I will look up some more information about radiousity, as that seems to produce more realistic lighting.

Tristan ''Jherax'' Blease
jherax@planetquake.com
Tristan ''Jherax'' Bleasejherax@planetquake.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement