🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

window coords to object coords

Started by
1 comment, last by Hendrik Klindworth 24 years, 1 month ago
Currently i''m working on a windowed OpenGL game. It''s name is ''KMind'', a Master Mind clone. I have to get the object coords from the mouse coords. The problem is that I know only the x and y coords of the mouse. I dont know the z coord. So gluUnproject doesnt work. But I know the y coord of the object. Does anyone have an idea how to use this information to get the x and z coords of the object? Hendrik
Advertisement
there is and never will be a Z coord for the mouse. its a 2d input device. wat you need is selection and feedback which is in the red book a whole chapter on what ure describing

~prevail by daring to fail~
I agree, the only way to do it is with the selection buffer. Read up on it to see how it works and code examples. There''s a good explanation in the OpenGL SuperBible.

Basically you push a "name" (integer) before each object you draw. Then using the selection buffer and the mouse''s X, Y coordinates it will return the "name" of the object under the mouse. You should keep track of the X, Y, and Z of each object so this should be all the information you need.

Jason A.

---
I write code.
---I write code.DelphiGL (http://delphigl.cfxweb.net)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement