🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Motion Blur

Started by
11 comments, last by Zerosignull 24 years ago
has anyone had n e luck doing motion blur with OGL? ~prevail by daring to fail~
Advertisement
Motion blur is a planned function in my upcoming 3dengine.

You can use accumulation buffers to do that or program your objects with different positions and degree of transparency.

You can save 4/5 last positions, and give them increasing alpha values.
Current position is alpha=1 (solid), while farthest is 1/position number.

Better idea, comments... are welcome.

-* Sounds, music and story makes the difference between good and great games *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
I figured out a really easy and really fast form of motion blur. Simple, Instead of clearing with glClear or whatever the opengl clear function is, just render an alphablended rectangle that is already transformed to the screen. Really simple and effective.

------------------------
Captured Reality.
nes8bit, wouldn''t that only be for scene (or portion of screen) motion blur as opposed to object motion blur? if it works for object motion blur, please inform us more on this super cool technique, cuz i''d like motion blur in my game too.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
No, it is not object motion blur. Sorry.

------------------------
Captured Reality.
Isn''t the only possible way: to use alpha blending and just draw the object in it''s previous positions with more or less blending?

It may seem faster to save each rendered object in a buffer, but with current hardware acceleration it''s better to just redraw the polygons again!

I''ll post a demo on my page of what I''m talking about later...

------------------------
Captured Reality.
Tim has Source code to his blurring stuff over at www.glvelocity.com
nevermind then

------------------------
Captured Reality.
ha ha! nes8bit, was your idea the same as at glvelocity.com? if not, it may still be worth it....

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement