🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GLU GLUT

Started by
5 comments, last by SKSlayer 24 years, 1 month ago
Hey, What about glu and glut, why should I use them, what do they bring new ? where can I find info about it. If I make an engine how could they help me ??
(you can find me on IRC : #opengl on undernet)
Advertisement
GLUT is the open gl utility library, and I personnally likle open gl because I find it reaonably ''easy'' to code(well compared to D3D, its best use is if u want easy multi platform porting as at standadises windows/xwindos/mac etc functions. It also does other useful thing, NeHe is a great place to learn openGL and has a comprehensive links area.

GLU is pretty cool and is on all Win9x and up computers. GLUT is only recommended if you don''t know windows programming very well. It works in console apps and te like. GLUT isn''t included with OS''s so you''d have to distribute it with your download or tell people to get it to run any of your apps. I think GLUT is a waste of time if you know how to program windows. Setting up OpenGL in windows can be tricky, but you can find many books or websites that will help you with that.
I almost forgot: GLU has one function I use in every app I make no matter what, but i forget the name It sets up the projection matrix for you based on the screen aspect and vertical field-of-view.
the function is called gluPerspective...
Yeah, I use gluPerspective(...) too but that's the only thing I use from it. I found command list from glu in Microsoft Developper Networks, where can I find info about GLUT ?

Is it worth it to learn Glut ?

Hey, What about Sound (I am making a game and as you can guess, I need sound) ? OpenAL or DirectSound ?
And force feedback, I don't know any other ways than DirectInput...

Could you send me a stupid code that just show a white square using Glut (no win32 !) in fullscreen (I just wanna see how does it look like under GLUT)?

Hey, If you know a bit Win32 and much OpenGL and also file input/output, Networking. You could help me in my game, just ask if you want more info (It's a Fighting game (Beat em up) you can play by network)

Edited by - SKSlayer on June 3, 2000 4:56:41 AM
(you can find me on IRC : #opengl on undernet)
Hi

I think the GLUT documentation can be found
here
May the force be with you

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement