🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Damage

Started by
16 comments, last by Landfish 24 years ago
(another one!) In the Magic Alternatives post there was an interesting topic raised. What to do about the abstract way in which we handle physical status in games? It''s safe to say that certain games will always present a numerical abstraction of a certain unit''s performance. Strategy games, and many other games rely on the ability to use this information to judge your position. But other games, such as RPGs, could potentially improve from some interface revisions. It was written in a GDNet article somewhere (about Genres, I think) that RPGs are part storybook, part strategy, part exploration and part management. Only strategy and management are dependant on physical status. I like to envision that status will in future work more as a function of "role-playing" than as number crunching. A character may visibly limb to display damage, and in addition might complain to the leader of the group. A particularly stioc character might bear great pain not to be a nuscance, and a whiner might bitch and moan over a paper cut. Short of systems so graphically advanced as that, I think the first step is getting rid of the hard numbers. Even replacing the number with adjectives that describe a spread between a range of numbers is far preferable to me. Numbers are the enemy of playerside experience. Due to the digital nature of the medium, I know numbers are here to stay, but the more we convincingly cover them up, the better (IMHO). Theories, anyone?
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Advertisement
Well, this may seem like a bitch kind of post, but what the hell.

RPGs is the worst genre in the industry in a sense that it can be improved GREATLY, but noone wants to invest. Lame ass linear stories, lame ass dialogs, lame ass numbers, lame ass puzzles. Lame ass hit points, and lame ass "wisdom".

There is so much that can be improved in RPGs it ain''t funny. Too bad I don''t have the guts to start a project that huge.
I do! =)

I know exactly what you mean, sometimes they make me want to cringe. However, I want to point out that Linear plots are never a bad thing as long as they are DONE WELL, which they NEVER ARE.

OK, back to damage...
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
I was thinking about implementing a system in an RPG I'm currently working on where you can choose which part of the body to aim for. I know this has been done before (Fallout comes to mind), but one problem I have is that the game I am working on is real-time, so it cannot get too detailed as there's not much time to choose a bunch of different options to attack. I think I can overcome that problem eventually though.

Also, I was thinking it would be interesting if the player got hit in his sword-arm, and then had trouble swinging effectively. Then perhaps the player could have an option to switch his sword into his other hand or something.

Well...Just some thoughts....

Edited by - Nazrix on June 4, 2000 1:55:48 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
The realtime thing could be a benefit. I mean, you can create bosses with weak points (like panzer Dragoon Saga) that the player just doesn''t have time to locate... just don''t get chincy with it.
Ah...very interesting idea...
And I could make it so that if the person is wearing armor on their chest but not their arm, then their arm would be more vulnerable.

Also, as far as representing wounds...I was thinking of representing it by something like
Your arm is slightly wounded or Your leg is bleeding very badly ... there could be a number system underneath it though.

Edited by - Nazrix on June 4, 2000 6:54:45 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
quote: Original post by Nazrix

Also, as far as representing wounds...I was thinking of representing it by something like
Your arm is slightly wounded or Your leg is bleeding very badly ... there could be a number system underneath it though.

I think a textual representation of wounds is a great idea. Not just "you have 55/90 hitpoints" but an actually description of the damage would be great. A visual representation (the character bleeding) would of course just add to the effect.

But as I noted in my post back in the Magic Alternatives thread, I don't necersarily think that "cripling" the character (eg. cannot swing the sword as well as he used to) is a good idea.

It could lead to troubles by creating an "evil circle" where the character, once hurt, could never recover from the wound, but just kept getting worse and worse for every battle.

Maybe the player just got the habit of reloading the game once he had been hurt, because he knew he would not stand a change of getting back to safetly alive so he could heal?

Giving the character "performance" problems would probaly be the most realistic, but how to implement it so that its still possible to keep on playing and recover even if the character gets "crippled" in a fight?

Regards

nicba

Edited by - nicba on June 4, 2000 7:15:43 PM
The way I''m representing damage in the new game nicba helped me with the plot for is a spinning globe on the interface bar. The faster it spins, the healthier the hero. Though there are numbers beneath the hood, they are very fuzzy and the player could very well die even if his hitpoints were slightly greater than 0.

I like food.
I like food.
nicba,
I would agree that a system where the player's abilities are crippled by damage would not work for all games, but this sort of goes back to the infamous Goblin posts. If it's a game where it's less combat-orientated, the player would soon realize he/she can't just go around beating on everything for fear that he/she may be crippled and could die.

Furthermore, the enemies would have the same sorts of "crippling" effects.

Also, there could be a skill for dodging and/or parry to block attacks. Also, there could be a healing skill where the player could use bandages and water (for cleaning the wound) to help the wound heal more quickly.

Edited by - Nazrix on June 5, 2000 1:02:23 AM
Yeah, realism is always good

I like the crippling idea, and, whatever else you do, NEVER EVER tell the players health in numbers.
Text based is cool.

Selective armor is also good and aiming for weak spots (harder to hit of course) can give a game a lot of umh...stuff.

I find the idea of the evil circle not so bad at all. If you were seriously wounded taking on the poor goblin horde and spent all night plundering their hideout you risk geting your wound infected and all...
Then you might just stumble through the marshes looking for a spot to rest and patch yourself up. THis is what happens to the real heroes (read any fantasy novel).

In case of your sword arm being hit a skill like ambidexterity could come in handy...

sorry about the anonymous - Hase

Edited by - Hase on June 6, 2000 11:33:32 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement