🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

.RC Files

Started by
9 comments, last by Cecil 24 years ago
quote: Original post by Cecil

Excellent, Thank you very Much Mordell, it works like a charm now. I am curious as to if there a way to get around .RC files, to make menus, bitmaps etc into your Window Application programs? Again thanks

-Cecil

If you mean "is there a way to add menus, bitmaps, etc. outside of the .rc?" then the answer is yes. You can dynamically create menus in the code of your application, and then assign those menus to your window when you create it, although I don''t see why you wouldn''t want to use a .rc file for this. By using a resource file, you already have the menu loaded into memory...by dynamically creating it, you have to waste time that your code could be doing other junk. Besides, with Visual C++, you can create the menus (and dialog''s, etc.) VISUALLY, which I think is a lot easier (espically trying to lay out a dialog). Whatever floats your boat.

Oh, and with bitmaps, you CAN have them as seperate files on disk, and just load them that way. Again, whatever floats your boat.

P h a n t a s m
"Through dreams I control mankind."
--Legend
Phantasm

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement