🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Anybody have the SuperBible?

Started by
8 comments, last by ichor 24 years ago
I''m thinking about buying the OpenGL SuperBible (ISBN: 1571691642), but if anybody already has it, I have a question or two... 1. Are the code samples and descriptions using the same platform and such as NeHe''s tutorials? (No GLUT, Win32, etc) 2. Is the book worth the price for a beginning OpenGL programmer? Thanks in advance for any help!
Advertisement
The book does use GLUT for a lot of the examples. But to be honest I think you should with a little research be able to convert the examples into pure C/C++ and OpenGL. As for win32 it is left out until the last Section of the book (the book is in 3 sections). The last section is about how to use OpenGL with Windows9x and NT.

As for the price well I personaly think it is worth it. Its not a reference book, its basicly a big tutorial for OpenGL, it does also give a brief explanation of the fundimentals of 3D math and prgramming as you go through the book. If you want to get the most out of this book use it in conjunction with NeHe's tutorials.

Good luck with the 3D programming.

Edited by - Mr_Black on June 13, 2000 3:58:19 AM
Have just ordered the Second Edition of this book from Amazon.co.uk and to be honnest at £32 its not that expensive compared to some books. (most computer books infact).

I have only had a quick flick through it but it seems to have both command references and howto''s so pretty good value really.

-----------------------------------------------All messages are of my own personal opinion and not meant to offend. But if they do - tough :)Neuro.
I have the first edition of the
opengl super bible and it has no crappy
glut in it it''s pure win32 man....

It''s a nice book but maybe a little to general..
Most of the stuff that is covered in it can be found here at NeHe acctually....

I like the book though but there is maybee a better (more advanced book)...

ohh yeah it''s got nice examples!!!

My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
I agree with the prior comment that this book may be a bit general. I suggest you make an investment in the latest revision of the Red Book and the Blue Book. These are both pricey books, but well worth it. The OpenGL Bible presents some of the information in these books (semi-chewed). If you are looking fro sample code, there are plenty of web-sites where you can get quality code without making the investment in a book. In case you don''t know,

Red Book -> OpenGL Programming Guide, Third Edition (covers 1.2)
Blue Book -> OpenGL Reference Manual, Third Edition (covers 1.2)

If you want to save money, get the second edition of the Blue Book used, but the latest revision of the Red Book is worth the price.

-Ed

Life is short...live every day.
Well if this helps any, I''ve seen an online version of the Superbible (just don''t have a link ).

joeG
joeG
I belive the super bible is online so you can check it out, goto links at gamedev then goto online books section of opengl
There''s a link on NeHe.com!

Left hand side, Under the counter, in ''Favorite links'' section.

SeeYa,

Dan Brown
Oops, not nehe.com, http://nehe.gamedev.net

SeeYa,

Dan Brown

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement