🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

lighting without normals?

Started by
3 comments, last by albert_fish 24 years ago
Does anyone know how it''s possible to be able to use lighting in OpenGL without any defined normals? I have a program in which I put a spot on a sphere, drawn with the glutSolidSphere command. I define the spot and let it shine on the sphere. And it works perfectly, without any defined normal. I thought you always have to use normals in order to use lighting. Thanks. Tatum
Advertisement
I''ve never used the glutSolidSphere(), but I guess glut defines the normals for opengl automatically if lighting is enabled.

Visit our homepage: www.rarebyte.de.st

GA
Visit our homepage: www.rarebyte.de.stGA
You can enable GL_AUTO_NORMALS (or something like that) to have OpenGL generate the normals of triangle, quads, and polygons for you so that you don''t have to define them.

Morgan
its better to fugure out normals for ure self as doig it on the fly and letting OGL do them will slow down ure program and may not even give u the desirred effect

~prevail by daring to fail~
I agree, if you want to learn how to calculate your own normals, check out Nate''s tutorial on normals and stuff, you can find it at nate.scuzzy.net.

Morgan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement