🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

test my game...too!

Started by
19 comments, last by CO 24 years ago
A big thank to richardve, this program is what I''ve searched! Now I can start to create a better game as my last (which has bad models)!
Advertisement
- With which command could I get the OpenGL driver which is on the current system?

You can use glGetString( GL_VENDOR ) & glGetString( GL_RENDERER ) to get this info.

- When I dealing with vertics e.g. storing or manipulating them, is it better to use fix point math (bit shifting) in my program or better to use the normal float variables?

Fixed-point math is better for software renderers, but as OpenGL is hardware accelerated it is better to use floats which the card can handle. Todays computers can handle floating-point data as fast as integers (fixed-point) so it shouldn''t be too much of a problem anyway, but it somehow is usually better to use fixed-point for software renders anyway.

Hope this helps.

Morgan
Really cool! I love Pac-Man (erm... old c64 times) and this game is the best PC-clone if''ve seen yet!

Well... I don''t know how (I''m using a 450Mhz P3/Viper v770), but the game get''s a little bit slow some times (very huge levels with many of items). I''m still wondering why Q3A is running this fast... and they''re using OGL, too.
Q3 uses BSP trees for hidden surface removal. I have a feeling that not much more than backface culling is being used in this game.

Morgan
Yes in this game is not more used than backface culling. But why it runs so slowly... I've got no idea! (I've used an school version of VC) Can someone help me?

Edited by - CO on July 4, 2000 10:54:21 AM
Hmmm... but how does it works??? (I mean BSP trees)
"Hmmm... but how does it works??? (I mean BSP trees)"

- I didn't used BSP trees, because this do not work well with an simple matrix engine. I know, it's possible to calculate which fields are seen and which are not. I will use this in my next game. In the current game aren't much polygons, so it should normally run faster. I've used the display lists (for objects and walls) to improve the speed. What can I do to get better FPS? Maybe use fix-point math?

PS. It's funny to speak as an german guy to a german guy in an other language!

Edited by - CO on July 4, 2000 11:18:26 AM
CO> Erm... yes that''s funny.. (man könnte auch anders... is aber unfair gegenüber den anderen )

I hope Morgan can answer my question...
How do BSP tree''s work? Well, it would take a while to explain (I think I understand it fairly well, but never implemented it), so I''ll provide a bunch of links instead:

http://reality.sgi.com/bspfaq/
http://www.directxtasy.com/3dbsp/3dbsptrees.html
http://shockonline.homestead.com/Tutorials.html

Those are the only three I could find quickly, I hope they help.

Morgan
Yeah... thank you very much Morgan! The tutorials on directxtasy.com helped me out of my problems with 3d-bsp-trees!
I think it''s the best tutorial someone will get...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement