🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Mp3 Playing Library?!

Started by
5 comments, last by bosco 24 years ago
I know this is OpenGL unrelated, but it''s demo related and thus a distant cousin to OpenGL.. Does anyone know of an Mp3 loading and playing library? I''m gonna look around later, but I figured someone in here might know of one. Of course it needs to have as LITTLE overhead as possible.. Preferably none.. Hehe.. thanks for any help.. bosco() watch for Worthless 2... coming to a theatre near you...
--leader of the free world .. or something ..
Advertisement
hi
i''ve heard about a library called SDL (for Simple Directmedia Layer). I know that it have some sound stuff. Check at www.libsdl.org if there''s functions dealing with MP3
hope that help
lunasol
SDL version 1.1.3 didn''t include it - and that version was the latest version not long ago. However, there''s a mp3 playing library make by Lokigames (www.lokigames.com). Check it out.

"Paranoia is the belief in a hidden order behind the visible." - Anonymous
Apperently it, SMEPG, is a MPEG video/audio playing library. It didn't say if it can play MPEG audio files as 'standalones', however. And another drawback - it requires SDL 1.1.3+ to compile. The files are also only availible in tar.gz, .rpm and such other unix/linux file formats.

Edited by - Staffan on July 4, 2000 12:18:25 PM
You might wan't to look at 123.mpg.com too. You can get the source there if you wan't. It's the same engine that's K-Jöfol is using. Look for a thing called BASS to, I heard it was a mp3 (and others most likely) playing library - one that you won't have the tweak the source code for first

Just an update on the BASS topic, you can find it here: http://www.un4seen.com/music/. It requires DirectX 3 or later, works for Win32 only. Can load and play wav, mp3, mod, mo3, cd tracks and more. Support for EAX and DX7 and so on.

Edited by - Staffan on July 4, 2000 12:37:18 PM
Fantastic guys... I''ll get right on all of those and see if it''s what I need..

thanks a bunch,

bosco()
--leader of the free world .. or something ..
...and if it''s not you could 1) goto www.wotsit.org and download the mpeg3src code and have a look (not an easy read I might add ) or just read the file format specifications. 2) Goto www.freshmeat.net and have a look there, there are plenty of mp3 playing libraries - such as skysound.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement