🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

what is a game mod

Started by
1 comment, last by cpp boy 20 years, 5 months ago
I often saw but the word game mod but never really new the definition so here a serie of question. 1. What is game mod 2. How do I make a game mod 3. whit what do I make a game mod 4. Can I sell game mods 5. do they cost money 6. An example of a well know game mod Kevin
Kevin
Advertisement
1. What is game mod?
"Mod" is an abbreviation for "modification". A game mod is exactly that: modified version of an existing retail game. Generally, mods can only be made for games that explicitly support the process - "modding" a closed game would involve violation of licenses and copyrights. Many games - particularly FPSes and simulations - are moddable in some form or other.

The type of modification can range from the creation of custom scenarios and environments, characters/units and changing aspects of gameplay to so-called Total Conversions (TCs), in which the technology of the original retail game is used as a basis for a new game.

2. How do I make a game mod?
The exact process depends on the particular game and on the type of mod you wish to create. For custom behaviors/units/weapons, you generally need to create the visual asset (model or sprite) and write some code in an embedded scripting language - QuakeC in the Quake series of games, for example. For TCs on the other hand, you essentially use the provided "engines" (as Dynamic Link Libraries (DLLs, files ending in ".dll") on Windows or as Shared Objects (files ending in ".so") on Linux) as libraries and build your game from there.

3. with what do I make a game mod?
It varies, again, on the type and extent of the modification. Generally, you will need a modeler (for 3D games) or image editing program (for 2D games), knowledge of the embedded scripting language, knowledge of C or C++ (for TCs) and an understanding of how programs - particularly late-binding programs (those that use dynamic link libraries or shared objects) work on your target platform.

4. Can I sell game mods?
No. To be able to sell your "mod", you need to license the engine you build on. Half-Life, for example, is really an extensive mod of Quake; Valve, Half-Life''s developers, licensed the Quake engine source code from id Software.

5. do they cost money?
Unless you are interested in a scenario like Valve''s above, no. Modding is free; you provide your mod to the community (there are websites built around each of these games where you can make your content available) and your reward is the adulation of gamers who enjoy your work. In exceptional cases, a quality mod has translated into a job with a game company (CounterStrike''s creator was hired by Valve).

6. An example of a well know game mod
CounterStrike is the best-known mod ever, with its own subsequent commercial releases for PC and XBox (Valve, Half-Life''s publisher, acquired the rights to CounterStrike and hired its creator, then released the game for PC and recently for XBox).
Also see the View Forum FAQ on this page... moderators don''t write FAQs for nothing, you know!

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement