🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Billboarding

Started by
1 comment, last by a2k 23 years, 11 months ago
how do you do billboarding? i would imagine that you take the vector (camera origin-camera target) and use this as the normal for the objects to be billboarded, and then the points in the 3d world would finally define the plane that the texture would be on. then, transform the modelview matrix for all planes that need to be oriented in the proper direction of the camera. purpose: i wanted to draw smoke clouds, and for every position on the screen where i want a smoke cloud is going to be a textured, alpha-channeled plane that would hold the image of the smoke cloud. is this the way to do it? or is there a better way? (i want to create smoke like in Nascar 3, ideally, but i have no idea how they did it.) a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
Advertisement
I think nate has a bilboarding tutorial at nate.scuzzy.net

Morgan
thanks. that''s what i was looking for.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement