🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

RPG Scripting Languages?

Started by
5 comments, last by irbrian 20 years, 1 month ago
Are there any scripting languages out there that are designed to script functions for role playing games? I''m talking mostly about P&P games, not computer games. Whether they''ve been used for CRPGs or not is irrelevant. I thought I heard of a rules-based scripting language at one point several months ago, but I haven''t been able to relocate it on Google yet.
---------------------------Brian Lacy"I create. Therefore I am."
Advertisement
I guess no one''s heard of this?
Baldur''s Gate AI scripting? Never Winter Night Mod scripting?

Kami no Itte ga ore ni zettai naru!
神はサイコロを振らない!
How would a scripting language apply to something that''s not a computer program? I''m not sure what exactly your question is. Scripting in the context of this forum tends to imply automation of a computerised task.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]
There''s a scripting language out there somewhere thats built on a rules-based methodology, which is sort of a cross between procedural and event-driven. It has been used for scripting game rules like "if this statistic changes, also update these other statistics, and change how this ability works." It makes sense to use this in the context of CRPG development, but could also be used for other things, i.e. electronic P&PRPG character sheets.

Obviously no one here has heard of it; I wish I could remember any small part of the unique syntax so I could find it again.. I''ve googled myself night to exhaustion already.
Ok, let me expand my request. Does anyone know of any RULES-BASED scripting languages? I''ve found one so far -- iRules -- but its pretty inaccessible, not designed for public use. And after quite a bit of searching I was only able to find one very simple example of its syntax, which I thought was a bit too verbose anyway.
Does anyone know of any RULES-BASED scripting languages?

Prolog.

“Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.” — Brian W. Kernighan
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement