🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

what language for writing games? c or delphi?

Started by
11 comments, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 8 months ago
Although I don't want to discourage you from using Delphi, you should know that most first-person games, and most games in general, are written in C/C++. Most of the books and articles about game programming are written with that in mind. There ARE Delphi resources out there, and we will have some up eventually, but you will probably have an easier time if you learn C/C++.
Advertisement
C/C++ 'fraid IMHO. Is more fiddly but thats the price for 1 level above assembler (as in most compilers will generate the assembler code from C and you can tweak to your hearts content - not to different from C). It can run quicker and seems to be more portable - hey, I have coded C on UNIX, Windows (flavours) and an IBM ES9000 mainframe - gives you a bit of scope. Also means the DirectX interfaces (assuming you are coding under Windows) is not too scary (as is not the API) and LINUX should be a doddle (relativly speaking, have only coded under UNIX so shoot me).
Also if well written and COMMENTED can be reused - C++ is honestly very good at reusable code (write it once, write a document on the public calls available and forget it. Or at least just tweak it)
Have not yet tried Visual C++. Anyone recommend it? And come to that what is it really? Does it produce tight code or just quick to code?
get DJGPP and ALLEGRO at once
DJGPP is a 32 bit protected mode compiler for dos and ALLEGRO is a verry good graphics library with a lot of 2D and 3D functions
and a lot of 3d rendering systems
get it now !!!!
type "ALLEGRO DJGPP" in yahoo to find them

------------------
Programming is an art

Programming is an art
Delphi is adequate to the task of creating a 3D FPS. Delphi's performance does not lag behind that of C++ in significant ways. There are several DirectX and OpenGL packages available (including 3D engines) that support or were written in Delphi.

I use Delphi exclusively for my development on Windows 95/98/NT.

My advice is to use whatever you want to use, feel most comfortable using, and can be most productive with.

Delphi is a very good platform for designing games, it's just that there are few resources to help you along. I've been using Delphi for several years, and have recently written a game called Marble Crazy using Delphi and DirectX 6 which has been quite popular.

The performance of the final code is excellent, the code doesn't have compatibility problems, and a good Visual Pascal compiler for Linux is just around the corner.

Having a language which isn't just 'Assembler with go faster stripes' helps with debugging too.

Maybe we need some articles in Delphi to help beginners along.

I am aiming to set up a Delphi Game Programming Page and currently have some DirectX Header based examples and a full game with source on the way.

I've just added discussion forums as well, please let people know, the URL is:
http://www.neoteric.force9.co.uk/

See you there!!

(I could do with some advice too ;-))

You can also email me via anthony@neoteric.force9.co.uk

You might check out the page: turbo

It's a page dedicated to creating games with Borland/Inprise products such as Delphi and C++Builder. It's hosted by
no2games

------------------
DavidRM
Samu Games

[This message has been edited by DavidRM (edited September 23, 1999).]

What does everyone think of conitec's 3D Game Studio version 4.0 "ACKNEX" with it's C-like scripting language? See: http://www.conitec.com/a4info.htm

I program in C and Java, and other things I won't mention. I'm thinking of purchasing the $200 version of the above mentioned product because I'm more interested in just making games than in writing code anymore. Is there really something that will let me "cheat" - let the VR visions in my head appear on the screen without all the heartache?

Or is it better to buy a 3D engine for C/C++? And which one do you guys prefer?

Hi !!

AnotherBigYapper : Why buying a 3D Engine if you just want to make games. If it's FPS, then buy Unreal (the editor is included) and then you can make games. Create new charakters, new Weapons, new textures and new sounds, and through altogether to create a "new" game with, buy the way, excellent graphics. If you want to code, do so, with Unreal's Scripting language.

Phillip

Phillip Schuster
Or you could try the genesis engine. The only risk to your not liking it is that you wasted sometime to download. Worst thing I found about it was that it's really scattered and a bit difficult to learn. Other than that it's cool. There's a demo for it which is amazing.
Write more poetry.http://www.Me-Zine.org

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement