🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

VB5 books

Started by
3 comments, last by JohnDoe 24 years, 8 months ago
Stop and learn Pascal, Java, or C++.
Visual Basic is harder to learn, harder to use, and can't do as much or as fast.
Plus you can get better books for any of those languages. (Ivor Horton's Beginning MSC++) (Mastering C++ is supposed to be good too)

------------------
DESIGN FANATIC
David Abresch
abre1657@blue.univnorthco.edu

DESIGN FANATIC
David Abresch
abre1657@blue.univnorthco.edu
Advertisement
Visual Basic harder to learn and use then C++?? sure C++ can do more, and faster, but I am positive Visual Basic is easier to use and implement. Does anyone else agree???

Whether or not C++ is easier than VB is irrevelant to your initial question: Does anyone know of any good VB books?

There are only two VB books I have ever owned, one was too basic (and I quickly forgot author/title) and the other, while "hardcore", was something that I just didnt use often.

Check out: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/157231
4222/qid=940513800/sr=1-1/002-7269419-8776224

Otherwise, I would browse amazon.com and see what the reviews for different books are.

I believe that you probably couldn't go wrong with a "Mastering VB 6.0" book or something similar.

I mostly learned VB from the sample programs that ship with the CD, and a subscription to Visual Basic Programmers Journal, and hands on working in a vb environment.

On the other hand, I actually own 3 C++ books. Not windows books, not Visual C++ books, but on the the C++ language.

So, maybe I indirectly answered your second question... :P

Good luck,

-mordell

Yeah, sure... we are laughing WITH you ...
hey, I was wondering if anyone knew of a really good book for Visual Basic 5.
I am still learning it, and would appreciate any help possible.

Thanks!

VB is supported by DirectX 7. And yes, you can make full screen games that run at reasonble speeds relatively quickly.

I used Applosoft BASIC/Visual Basic to learn about programming and later applied those skills to C++, Java, etc...

But back to the matter at hand.
I too learned VB by example, I ashamed to admit a actually purchased "Learn VB in 21 days" but I was young and naive then

The only book on VB that I find useful nowadays, is Visual Basic 6 Developer's Workshop. It is an a FAQ format and encludes tons of examples. I think it is good for both the beginner and the more experienced VB developer. I suggest you leaf through the book before buying it, to make sure the format and content are what you need.

Hope this help,
-OberonZ

---
PAGE FAULT: Please insert "Swap File, Disk 2"
and press any key to continue.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement