🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Rant

Started by
11 comments, last by Daemon 24 years, 8 months ago
Go rent The Pentagon Wars and watch it, and you'll feel better *smile*
I did.

You are not alone.

Oh, and then get some tape and tape over the hole for the trackball on their mouse, and you'll feel much better.

-fel

[This message has been edited by felisandria (edited October 22, 1999).]

~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
Advertisement
Hey! I've seen this same scene over a few enterprises around here..I'm not a database guru but I can see they are totally wrong with the way to implement the database.
Why don't you propose to start a new project instead of translating silly access reports?..

Laters and cheer up!

Anytime Frontpage is called a good tool you know there's something wrong.
Write more poetry.http://www.Me-Zine.org
I greatly enjoyed your rant.

If "they" are starting to blame you for the problems, it is high time to start looking for another place to work.

On the other hand, if the blame comes with no real consequences, just go with the flow, and enjoy the insanity. Your life will soon be featured in Dilbert.

Keep in mind, they are a not in the business of developming a GIS database, they're in the business of getting more money in their next year's budget because the project is not complete. Hint: Help them to realize their goal (which is to raise more budget money).

Well, thanks everyone for the kind words.. and suggestions (I really like the idea to tape the hole in the trackball).
Now I feel better.. I had a long discussion with my boss, who had a discussion with his boss who had a discussion with the boss of the morons, who had a discussion with the morons. Result: nothing has changed, but I did find a new job that pays more, is more interesting, and it might lead to work with a game development company. I just don't know if I have the heart to leave this project in this state, with my boss (who is actually a knowledgable nice person) in such a mess.
Hard decisions.
What would y'all do? leave the project, and my boss, in this mess (and the project would probably die a horrible death, with all the media laughing and poitning the finger); or leave a chance of a lifetime to work with videogames??
-----------Érdely!
I'd take the new job, personally. I seriously doubt the problems you mentioned are gone for good.
Take the new job.

'nuff said.

...And they hired someone who was patient? ={
_ It seems like all of the stories I've heard about government employing jobs seem to be headaches if not nightmares.
_ I had a friend work for a "constable" (more like an employed bounty hunter, from what he said) to make a database program so he could keep track of police records. That was fine for my friend at first. Then the constable wanted it spiffed up so he could sell it, without giving a commission to my friend.
_ Friend tried explaining why he didn't like this arrangement, but the constable put on his Drlbert(r) boss blinders and earplugs. Thankfully in the end my friend walked away with the pay for his original program, becuase that's all the constable got.
!!!Are there any stories out there of GOOD gorment employed jobs, becuase it would be sad if they were all this cruddy.
...but what fun would that be?

No-one listens to good news, the horror stories are far too interesting to want to hear about how _good_ someone's job is.
We want to hear tales of coders working 36 hours at a go, producers who don't know a thing about management and spend all their time playing guitar in their offices or down the pub schmoozing with their publisher counterparts or, from my own list of atrocities, the time my boss told me he wanted to write a polo game because...
"Everybody loves horses".

What would be the fun of sitting down and chatting about the management that handed you a completed design which remained unchanged until the end of the project.
The producer who could people manage superbly and alloted accurate amounts of time to each stage of development.
The publisher who understood the process of game creation and didn't demand haphazard piece of discordant functionality which had everybody diving from one design section of the game to another.
Not to mention the time the entire coding team was given leave to 'sit down and design their code' not program on the fly due to ridiculous deadlines.
I've even heard of a company who actually assigned the number of team members to the project that they were charging their publisher for.
Crazy bastards....

...so come one, come all...out with your horror stories...after all...there must be a book in this somewhere...

I kind of had the same situation, but it was not a government job and there weren't that many people involved. I just started from scratch and then extracted all the data that I needed from their tables into mine. Alot of data had to be reentered I forgot why. After seeing the capabilties of mine and the capabilities of his, The boss was more than happy to have someone type in the data. Then as always in my job he took credit for it. This used to bother me, But I don't care anymore.

A note about getting back at people you might find interesting. A wrote a program in C++ for a place and they didn't pay me. What is funny is that I put a date checker in the program and it expired 1 month later!!! Even though I gave them the source code they couldnt figure out how to remove it and had to have me come back! haha

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement