🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What library to choose for commercial game?

Started by
16 comments, last by TANSTAAFL 19 years, 11 months ago
I gonna start making commercial PC games (worked with PPC and Smartphones before). What game library to choose? Or, maybe better to make my own layer over the directx? Thanks.
Advertisement
If you just targeting the Windows-marcet: go for DirectX. You'll don't lose anything. But if you're want Linux uses to play too, take a look at SDL. Today, I havn't heard about any commercial project that uses it, but I think it will grow in popularity.
http://www.cis.gsu.edu/~shong/oojokes/
Choose whatever you're comfortable with, providing it has the compatibility you require and a licence which doesn't prevent you from licencing the product as you want.

Developer usability is far more important than any other factor, as it will affect your development time. Go with what you know.

Mark
You should take a look at SxDL ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/sxdl/ )

This a very easy to use game development framework. Saves a huge amount of time when developping games. Perfect for "classic" 2D games. We are currently working on 3D stuff.

This is a GPL project but I am ready to grant commercial licences for a minimal "fee" such as some utility source code, add-ons, code improvements or optimizations or even a little one time donation.

And, yes, this is fully compatible with the GPL, similar in essence to what MySQL AB is doing with MySQL.
Allegro is just as good for commercial games ... and easier to pick up IMHO if you've never used either Allegro or SDL. It also has a restriction-free license, if that kind of freedom is important.

I would recommend Allegro if you've never used it or SDL, simply for the ease of use. But really, it doesn't matter. Flip a coin. [smile] I wouldn't bother with DIrectX unless I had to though.

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.

Quote: Original post by 23yrold3yrold
Allegro is just as good for commercial games ... and easier to pick up IMHO if you've never used either Allegro or SDL. It also has a restriction-free license, if that kind of freedom is important.

I would recommend Allegro if you've never used it or SDL, simply for the ease of use. But really, it doesn't matter. Flip a coin. [smile] I wouldn't bother with DIrectX unless I had to though.

How can something be easier to use than SDL? [grin]
SDL it has a proven trackrecord for commercial games and the man behind it now works at Blizzard!
HardDrop - hard link shell extension."Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats
The man who created Allegro (Shawn Hargreaves) now makes commercial games for XBox and PS2. He and at least a few other Allegro nuts (like George Foot) made MotoGP, one of the cooler motorcycle racing games out there. Shawn Hargreaves was lead coder on that project. Nyah! [wink]

I'm not trying to top SDL, just dispell the notion that Allegro isn't just as good. I have it on the authority of people that have used both that SDL is slightly more lower-level that Allegro and gives you a bit more control, while Allegro is easier to learn and get something up and running with. But really, they're about equal. Just personal taste. Last thing I want to do is make my own friigin' forum a breeding ground for SDL/Allegro flamewars. [grin]

Back to the OP: I repeat; flip a coin. Allegro or SDL will do you good.

Well, thanks.

First, I think my games will be only for Windows. (DirectX?)

Second, what about licensing issue? Libraries are not "absolutely free"... How it will stand for the situation when I will not only sell my games myself but also through resellers/publishers?

And one more important issue. It is great that LIBs provide simplicity for a developer. But, I guess, it cuts down the flexibility of the lowest layer (DirectX in case of Windows). Am I right?
Quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
Second, what about licensing issue? Libraries are not "absolutely free" ...

I can speak only for Allegro, but yes it is. It is giftware in the fullest sense, no strings attached. Click to see.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement