🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Could you give me a hand?

Started by
1 comment, last by falkone 19 years, 11 months ago
I've never programmed anything before but a calculator in BASIC. I've learned a few stuff such what is a variable, why you HAVE to declare them, what is a function, ELSE IF and loops flow control, case and that's all. Now I'm trying to learn Uscript but even if I do understand the ELSE IF flow control, variables declarations and other basic stuff, I feel that I'm getting stuck in ELEMENTARY things. Like: Function functiontype functioname(). Got it but didn't get the "()" part. .... (a word here,,, etc,etc). I understood it somehow but what are the 3 colons for? Couldn't it be just ....(a word here, etc, etc)? While other ELEMENTARY things like operators I do understand at all.
Advertisement
Ok, you'll have to be a little more clear about what your problems are.

Firstly, the () part of a function is generally what denotes that particular thing as a function, and is how to use it. eg. hello() means 'call the hello function'. Sometimes you have words between the parentheses which denote different inputs to the function.

The "(a word here,,, etc,etc)" bit contains no colons, just commas. You would have to explain the context more for me to explain what this means.

And when you say "other ELEMENTARY things like operators I do understand at all.", do you mean "I do understand" or "I don't understand at all"?
Quote: Myself from this thread
TBN_Nickless, try learning C/C++ before scripting Unreal. It may be a bit more advanced, but there are so many more resources available for learning C/C++ that you'll be able to learn it much faster, that way you'll have a firm grasp of what is written in the code so you can start on the task of figuring out how the code was written. It's better to worry about figuring out just how things work than trying to wade through the language, then attempting to figure out what they're doing.
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement