🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

which LaMothe book?

Started by
5 comments, last by jschmidt 24 years, 6 months ago
The new Windows book should cover everything you need. Plenty of people have already answered this question for a million other people so I hope this post will surfice.
William Reiach - Human Extrodinaire

Marlene and Me

Advertisement
For Direct X, get Iniside Direct X. For games, dunno. For C++ get a reference by either Bjarne Stroustrup or Herbert Schildt.
Go with tricks of the windows game programming gurus. From what I hear it's just about the same as the dummies book except that it has more added to it.
Working on: DoP
'Windows Game Programming for Dummies' was an excellent book, and also provided a start with Win32 as well as DirectX. But from what i've read the new book ("Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus") would seem to be more detailed. The new book is also DirectX 6, whereas the older 'WGP for Dummies' is only DirectX 5.
You will also need the DirectX 7 SDK from Microsoft. You can order it on CD for about $12. You may also like a book on Win32 ("Windows 98 Programming from the ground up" by Herbert Schildt is excellent), and maybe even a book on COM ("Inside COM" from Microsoft is good).
Take some good advice though, and don't bother with MFC. It's an irrelevance to a game programmer. The amount of Win32 you need to learn to write games is small and easily learned.
Once last thing, neither of the Lamothe books cover D3D, you'll have to wait until February 2000 and get "Inside Direct3D" if you want a good D3D book.
Your best source of info on DirectX and D3D is always the DirectX SDK though.
Oh boy! He was just asking which one of the two books he should get. So I told him. Then you guys just repeat it.

[This message has been edited by Gromit (edited December 11, 1999).]

William Reiach - Human Extrodinaire

Marlene and Me

I'm getting ready to purchase a game programming book for the windows platform. At amazon I read reviews that there isn't much difference between the dummies and LaMothe's new windows game programming book. I have taken college classes in c and c++ but no experience with directx, visual c++, or mfc. Which book would be best for me?
I knew I should have closed this thread after Gromit answered the question. Yet another reason to come up with a FAQ.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement