🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Stupid Color Question

Started by
1 comment, last by Brad 24 years, 6 months ago
That's the whole point of a palette, colors are NOT defined, only indices. So, in one palette, color 255 could be white, in another it could be black, grey, blue, pink, yellow... but it's usually black (big assumption).

I suggest you stop using MS Paint, because it's not very good, and for free you can get much better paint programs. Try Paint Shop Pro. It's shareware and is very good. Best bang for the buck.

Advertisement
I'm almost embarrassed to ask this. But I'm realativly new so bear with me

I am trying to use a program that extracts images from bitmap files and stores them as tiles. Anyways I'm editing the bitmaps using ms paint and I have to enclose all of the sprite images I want to extract in a rectangle of the color index 255. Well what color is that because no matter how hard I try I can't seem to enclose the sprites with the correct color.

PSP 6 really is a good program for bitmaps.
It even has a palette-editor.
Only contra is the text-tool.

My sugestion for PSP:
use 24bit-colours for image manipulation and then decrease the colour-depth to 256.

There are some nice tools like fixpal (go to tatula.demon.uk and search among the tools) which make 256 colour images use the same palette.
If you use grabber.exe (comes w/ allegro lib tatula.demon.uk) just grab the palette from one of the image you're using and set it as palette in your program!

Contra for allegro: no C++ support, but grabber should work fine w/ C++ sources!

------------------------------------------------------------"To a computer, chaos is just another kind of order."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement