🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

OO in AS?

Started by
3 comments, last by WitchLord 19 years, 3 months ago
A while ago i checked out ASs homepage and it seemed like they didnt have OO yet, but on the articles page there's an article named "Polymorphism in AngelScript"..so does AS have OO or not? (by have OO i mean can you write classes in scripts and inherit new classes from old ones)
reality is only an option
Advertisement
No, AngelScript doesn't natively allow declaration of classes and inheritance.

Version 2.2.0 that I will start implementing soon, will include declaration of simple data structures, but without class methods or inheritance. After that I will implement function pointers, which can allow a script writer to manually write virtual function tables. In a later version I will probably add methods and inheritance to this. I think it is unlikely a script class will ever be able to inherit from an application registered class, but if I can find a solution for that AngelScript will support that as well.

The article Polymorphism in AngelScript was written for version 1.7.1 (I believe) and showed one way an application could allow script methods to sort of overload class methods. But it was not true OO.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

What do you think about how unrealEd implements C++ scripting? Last I read in last year's I think GDC roundtable discussion was lesser reliance on scripts for speed reasons I think they said. To me unrealEd's scripting seems reasonable as far as game developing/mapping goes. I haven't played with it too much so my views are that of novice. What do you think about it and will your project be looking like it?
ok, thanks for the reply. will probably try to integrate AS in my little project soon.
reality is only an option
JD:

I don't know how UnrealScript works, and I don't have Unreal so I can't test it. But I am always open to suggestions for improvements to the script library, so it's just to explain to me what you would like me to implement and I'll consider it.

dathui:

[smile]

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement