🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Voodoo Rush vs. Matrox Mystique

Started by
-1 comments, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 8 months ago
Hi!

I recently started to learn programming in D3D, and downloaded the DX7 SDK, and installed.

Now I have written a D3D application that draws only one single triangle on the screen every frame, and rotates it. I checked how many frames I could draw every second, and came up with weird results.

I tried it on my own computer, a P-II 233MHz with a Matrox Mystique 220 board and got more than 4000 FPS (Yes, 4000).
Then I tried it on my friends computer, a P-II 333MHz with a 3dfx Voodoo Rush, and got 300 FPS.
That felt kinda weird, 'cause a Voodoo board should be a lot faster than my Matrox board (at least not 10 times slower).

Now I wonder, what did I do wrong? Is it wrong to set up the primary surface with a back buffer, and then render the 3D-graphics to the backbuffer, and do the flip, or should I create a surface that I use as 3D-render target, blit it to the back buffer, and then flip?

Regards,
Ohlson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement