🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

FPS Game in OpenGL?

Started by
0 comments, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 8 months ago
I know this is a rather broad question, but how do you make a First Person Shooter type game(Quake, QII, etc.)in OpenGL?

I've made a simple program where you fly around, with 3d objects floating about. A primitive space-sim I suppose.

But I don't understand how I could adapt that to a Quake style game.

Could you please point me in the right direction on how I should go about attemting it.(like books, web-sites, tutorials, etc.)

Also, I'd rather NOT just use a pre-built FPS stlye engine. I'm really trying to learn this stuff.

-dinotrack

Advertisement
I can suggest our 3D Math and Theory section as one place to go (that would be in the References->Programming section). To implement a Quake-like engine, you need to know some things about visibility and occluding and stuff. Also, the data structure that is chosen is important as well. Check out those articles and a few of the 3D ones in the other sections as well. I hope that helps.

Kevin

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement