🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Strange Display ??

Started by
15 comments, last by daviddiligent 16 years, 3 months ago
Hi, I got a funny picture when I run the Lesson 32 files. Anybody has any ideas about this? Thanks. Also, I can't find the OpenGL SDK from Opengl.org, can anyone reply me an address where I can download the SDK? Thanks. My Graphics card is Sapphire ATI HD 2900 Pro+ strange
/*----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/Enthusiastic and wild about game development. Any opportunity would get me sink into any fantastic game-revolution era.
Advertisement
/*----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/Enthusiastic and wild about game development. Any opportunity would get me sink into any fantastic game-revolution era.
don't know how to post a picture here.

here is the link

http://img441.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10032995ur3.jpg
I don't see anything strange about that picture... the scene is simple but it's supposed to be that. About the OpenGL SDK, well the version 1.1 comes with Visual Studio... if you want to move to a newer version you can use the nvidia sdk.
There are no real openGL SDK files, just download the latest drivers to your graphics card and the header files from http://www.opengl.org/registry/ and your good to go.
Thanks lc_overlord and Dunge for the replies.

But, look at the sides of the picture, you can see that there are "two black walls", which should not be there.

I run the program in my other "older" systems, and both of them were running fine ( which means they don't have the 'two-black-wall' effect )

Another issue is that, I noticed that in my new system (which has the ATI HD 2900 Pro graphics card one), the moving targets are performing little jump effect. For example, if there is a blue-face moving from left to right, it doesn't move smoothly. but it moves smoothly to the right, then a little jump to the right, then smoontyly again, then a little jump again....

Is it because of my Graphics Card???
Sorry for the late answer.
I think you "black walls" are simply there because you have a widescreen resolution and the aspect ratio is not the same, so you see further horizontally. About the choppiness, well it's probably low FPS, just run fraps or count the FPS yourself, if it's under 20-30 you got a problem.
Quote: Original post by Dunge
Sorry for the late answer.
I think you "black walls" are simply there because you have a widescreen resolution and the aspect ratio is not the same, so you see further horizontally. About the choppiness, well it's probably low FPS, just run fraps or count the FPS yourself, if it's under 20-30 you got a problem.

Hey Dunge. Thanks for the reply.

Indeed, I did use a widescreen resolution. That must be the problem for the "black walls".

For the choppiness, I also suspected for the low FPS. Because when I run other lessons, I could notice similar problems. I will the FPS test later. But just wonder why my latest computer would have such low FPS problems. I just installed the latest version for my graphics card by the way. When I run the lesson in other old machines, the usage of CPU is almost 99% or 100%, but in my Dual core, it's always like 50%.

Another possible reason might be that, the other day, I was looking for the OpenGL SDK. The only thing I found is called OpenGL95.exe. I run it and it self-extracted to somewhere. I might change all my VC8 opengl sdk to this old OpenGL95 sdk. This might be the problem? If so, how can I possible get my VC8 opengl sdk back?

I will REALLY appreciate for any advice!!! Thank you.
It will only be 50% usage because you are using 100% of 1 of 2 cores. Windows sees this as using only 50% of total processing power. On my quad core, I rarely see above 25% if running a single app, because I am only using 1 of 4 cores.

as for
"Another issue is that, I noticed that in my new system (which has the ATI HD 2900 Pro graphics card one), the moving targets are performing little jump effect. For example, if there is a blue-face moving from left to right, it doesn't move smoothly. but it moves smoothly to the right, then a little jump to the right, then smoontyly again, then a little jump again...."

Your graphics card should VERY EASILY handle what you are rendering. If for some reason its a FPS issue, it shouldn't be the card. Are you sure your not running anything in the background? Are you running a copy of the example program or something you wrote like it? If its your own, can we see your render loop? Are the jumps at predictable times (as in, once per second/5 seconds) or just randomly?
my blog contains ramblings and what I am up to programming wise.
Quote: Original post by Imgelling
It will only be 50% usage because you are using 100% of 1 of 2 cores. Windows sees this as using only 50% of total processing power. On my quad core, I rarely see above 25% if running a single app, because I am only using 1 of 4 cores.

Thanks mate, I knew this. Just don't know why the games are choppiness in my new system.......

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement