🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Azmara - a game inspired by the 90's classics, my friends and I work day and night on what we love most, RPGs! Time to revive the gameboy + SNES days!

Started by
-1 comments, last by MochShot 9 years, 8 months ago

10551510_329702473873967_26634060692703329b956e26b947e93b3a38e76f84b5386_large.g

WE'RE CHANGING THE WAY YOU PLAY 2D ROLE PLAYING GAMES!

Our game is called Azmara. It is an action/adventure role-playing game for Android + iOS smartphones and tablets [currently in development].

INNOVATIVE MULTI-LEVEL MAP LAYERING

We have discovered a very innovative map-layering system that has been catered to 2D RPGs and our development platform, Corona Labs. This new design will make our game VERY unique to the other mobile-rpgs. Azmara is inspired by the games we played countless hours of as we grew up (specifically Zelda). Classic action-rpgs like Zelda, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy and many more consumed most of our childhood and teen years. However newer software has allowed us to change the way we play these games. It will allow greater world exploration and will certainly increase puzzle complexity. It is always a great feeling to find a weapon and make your way through a new part of the map with its unique abilities. The addition of the unique '3D' design will surely keep you guessing!

10644307_334164003427814_519744778393164 Screen Capture using Samsung Galaxy Tablet 3

10608225_334164056761142_616923181154240 Multi-levels brings greater depth to the game!

00798d098e717866aed665d84535dba1_large.g

Hey Gamers,
My name is Drew Mochrie and I am the founder of Rollplay Games Ltd. Over the past 4 months, Erik Zorn-Wallentin, Michael Hui, and myself have been developing Azmara for android devices. Why make a company out of it? We want to show everyone that we are determined to deliver more than just a game. It was quite the learning curve after we experienced the amount of funds needed for coffee...but I digress.

Our goal is to develop and publish Azmara for android and ios devices [smartphones + tablets]. Our mission is to revolutionize 2D role playing games with our unique map-layering system and to become a frontrunner in the development of mobile role playing games.

AUbanner.png

Before all of this began the first question to answer was what type of game to create. Being our first project we didn't want to bite off more than we could chew. However we already knew the type of game we were making, a role playing game. Erik and I have been friends since elementary school and have shared our thoughts on the different video games we played growing up. Both of us had come to the conclusion that the Zelda franchise was the most influential game as the years passed. We decided to drop all other plans and go right into development... but we needed a third man. After sharing the idea with a couple friends the idea spread to Michael Hui, a pixel art master. We knew we had found our third man after discussing our plans with Michael.

Role playing games are large projects to tackle. However we are already taking RPGs to the next level. Like many other developers, games of our past have inspired us to develop our own game. Our intentions are to give you the same rush of excitement that Zelda games gave us. However we have come a long way since A Link to the Past and Minish Cap. We are using newer software and tools compatible for mobile devices. This will allow our game to be highly interactive and engaging. Mobile devices are the 'new-aged' GameBoy!

It is amazing how far technology has come; Ten years ago I was having a hard enough time choosing one of the 10 ringtones that existed on my 'flip phone'!

Very few mobile role-playing games are created native to android or iOS devices. A lot of mobile-rpgs that exist on the market today have to be played using an emulator. This sacrifices a more user-friendly interface and doesn't allow updates or changes. Moreover, the games today that are native to mobile device software require no effort to complete.
This is where Azmara is different. We don't want to make a game where completing it is based off of health and power levels [Over 9000!]. Azmara will take ‘skill’ to complete; every element of this game will test your wits.

A Personal Message from Azmar a.k.a Erik

“We want you to find the unique traits of each weapon and defeat each boss based off strategy / specific boss mechanics. You can try to run up to a boss and spam a button but you will be punished for it. We want you to move around; Think a bit for every dungeon as the difficulty will quickly get harder and harder. It will feel very satisfying and evoke emotions to overcome the obstacles in Azmara, and I am very excited to also show off our VERY dynamic multi-level map system that will make solving puzzles and killing monsters very fun! I am proud to say how much we have accomplished with a small team in a few months. I would like to stress that most of the hardest parts are over, and adding anything new can simply take a few minutes. A few months ago everything took hours because we didn't have the core game done like we do now! What you see now after 4 months will be drastically different with few months extra. We are finally at the fun stages and will have way more to show for the full game.”

THE TEAM

Drew Mochrie - Founder + Lead Designer

Erik Zorn-Wallentin - Co-Founder + Lead Programmer + Designer

Michael Hui - Graphic Artist + Designer

Team Member #4 (You?) - Graphic Artist[Pixel] *read below

bdd6fac693822eaf43a805d83868437c_large.g

Over the past 4 months our main priority was developing the core mechanics of the game. Azmara's game mechanics will be similar to the ones used in action/adventure role-playing games during the 1990’s. Fights and battles will be based off strategy and not spamming the ‘A’ button. Strategies used to defeat certain monsters will become more difficult as the game progresses. In addition, our VERY dynamic multi-level map layering system will make puzzle solving more complex and world exploration more interactive and engaging!

Weapon and Inventory System: This is especially difficult when we are catering to mobile devices. We were very careful with the layout of our interface; we had to make sure that the touch actions would not interfere with playing the game. The reason why some great PC games aren’t successful on the mobile market is because the user interface is too overpowering. We have implemented a very dynamic weapon combo system. In order to keep the screen from becoming over-filled with action buttons, we implemented a 'weapon cycle' system that allows a total of 4 weapons equipped with 2 active slots that are rotational. This allows for more engaging battles and more options for success when you are fighting a difficult monster.

10653703_339953812848833_208482611666597

Touch Interface: Select weapon and select desired slot(1-4) [Layout still in development].

Map Interactiveness and Exploration: One of the best times in a role playing game is finding a unique weapon, spell, or item and discovering its special abilities to kill a monster that you could not kill before. In addition, there would be various places throughout the world/map where you could use the abilities to unlock new areas, find new monsters, and even more weapons and items. The possibilities are endless with with this new map system; map designs will be very dynamic and world exploration will be more interactive than ever.

10540571_339967662847448_855200196058661

708ea84af44ee97eb41dd40962112bcb_large.g

Our goal for Kickstarter is to fund a 2nd graphic artist [Launches NOVEMBER!]

We have been fortunate enough to make it this far into development; I[Drew] have had enough funds to keep food on the table for Erik and Michael for the past 4 months. The unfortunate reality is the initial funding we have has run out. We will use Kickstarter to hire a 2nd graphic artist and to fund the rest our project. Thanks to my family and friends' support and with a boost from Kickstarter, we'll be on our way to creating a masterpiece!.

Our intentions are to reveal early 'beta' files to backers on Kickstarter. Backers will be able to test the game-in-development and share their thoughts on our forum discussion board. Backers can also pledge for a reward tier that will grant them various rewards ranging from beta-file updates to monster t-shirts (don't worry, they'll fit you!). Unique rewards will also be included which range from designing/creating a boss fight to becoming a character in the game!

'2 Brains Are Better Than One'

We are developing a ‘community-based game’. Our intentions are to release our early 'beta' files to as many interested gamers in order to receive as much feedback as possible. This will give the users who try out our beta files to directly influence the changes and improvements made to Azmara. We are currently in the process of making a private forum that will allow individuals to share their thoughts and discussions with us. We will be making this forum available to backers on Kickstarter [depending on the amount pledged]. Multiple beta[incomplete .apk] files will be included to show Kickstarter backers how we intend to implement the changes and improvements discussed. This is a game made to be played by the masses, so why shouldn't it be made by the masses?!

1524397_329702673873947_6355038223980010

10473611_341449936032554_745839026182042 Azmara can be played on smartphones and tabletsd

CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE! (Forum coming soon!): www.rollplaygamesltd.com

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/rollplaygamesltd

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER: www.twitter.com/rpglimited

FIND US ON YOUTUBE: https://www.youtube.com/rollplaygamesltd

MORE UPDATES COMING SOON! CONTACT US FOR MORE INFO! CHRISTMAS IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER, TEST THE GAME ON YOUR NEW PHONE!

General Inquiries: info@rollplaygamesltd.com
Employment+ Investor Opportunities: drew@rollplaygamesltd.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement