🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Unity2D

Started by
4 comments, last by kburkhart84 9 years, 7 months ago

Hello, i'm new in game dev's world..

i was focusing on 2D role-playing game, and i was using Unity. Then i played this game by ubisoft called Child of Light, and i was wondering can unity make 2D RPG game like that ? Stage, Cutscene, Intro video etc

and do Unity support C++ ?

i'm sorry for my english & my question, you see, i'm just a new comer.

Thank you for your answer

Advertisement

I'm sure Unity can make such an RPG. I looked at the trailer and don't see anything too far out of the ordinary. Now that doesn't mean it won't take some work. You would have to learn the programming for it, and the art, etc...

Unity doesn't directly support C++, rather C# is the most commonly used language with Unity, though they offer Unityscript and Boo as well. If you are interested in using Unity, I'd recommend it. But, GameMaker: Studio also has a free version. I think it too could handle most of what Child of Light does. It isn't as advanced as Unity, but it is much easier to learn. You can use a drag & drop interface for some of the scripting, but I'd say you are better off learning GML, which is a C-like language GameMaker uses for scripting. There are some things that GameMaker can't do, and if you want to deploy to mobile platforms you will have to pay for those versions. Unity on the other hand, in the free version can export to iOS and Android. The catch is that the exports are limited in some ways though not as much as people think. The other catch is that like I say, Unity is harder in general to learn than GMStudio is, and that includes the scripting language.

In the long term, Unity may be better for you to learn. It isn't meant for 2d games exclusively, and GMStudio is generally better at 2d games than Unity. There are some things Unity can do with 2d that GMStudio can't, especially things that involve breaking into 3d for effects, etc... But, GMStudio at the moment is basically crap if you want 3d. It can do some things, and shaders can be created and used for things as well. But, there is no 3d editor, and the only 3d support is from addons/extensions from the computer for the most part. So basically, if you are interested in 3d games, you will be better of with Unity in the long run, assuming you only want to take the time to learn one tool that can do both things instead of the overall best tool for the job.

How about if i want to put an intro video or cutscene and music, do i have to used an another application or i can do it on unity ? or i make it on another application then drag it to unity ?

It depends on how you want to make the cutscene or video. Some games animate it by scripting actual in game things, whether 3d models or 2d sprites. Others actually create video via 3d rendering. Others make a simple storyboard and simply display those images in order.

Music would have to be made outside of Unity. Not many game engines actually make the music/sounds for you, though most of them import different music files for playing during your game. Unity and GMStudio do this.

Why don't you just pick something, and just make something simple. If you want a quick start, I'd recommend GMStudio's free version. GMStudio comes with a sprite editor so you can make some simple programmer art for your first game. And for easy sound effects, get sfxr, or bfxr, and go to town. Just do something simple, like pong, tic-tac-toe, just something to get your feet wet. You won't need anything complicated like cutscenes or video for these.

If you want to get started with Unity, that's fine too, but the catch is just that it will be a bit harder to pick up, at least for most people.

Thx kburkhart84, i'll start learning GMStudio for now, then when i'm ready i'll get started with Unity. thank you very much for your answer

Good luck. I'm on the GameMakerCommunity forum(GMC) with the same user name in case you post over there and don't get any help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement