🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Information request! (feedback appreciated)

Started by
0 comments, last by DiegoSLTS 9 years, 7 months ago

Hi,

I'm looking for information about how I should go about making an MMORPG, It will be a small project to begin with but I have plans to expand if things go well.

Information I'm looking for: Engines Languages/Coding/Algorithms Hosting/Servers any other things you think are necessary to begin deveopment

this is a new thing for me but I'm passionate and willing to learn

Thanks for taking the time to look over this and and feedback is appreciated!

Advertisement

"this is a new thing for me but I'm passionate and willing to learn"

By "this" you mean programming in general? game development?

If you're new to programming and/or game development you're project is out of your capabilities right know, forget about it for a while (a few months at least). There's not such thing like "small MMORPG", you can make as few features as you want, but making a network game is already a really complex task. Supporting a high count of players is also a really complex task on it's own.

Even experienced programmers will have problems with a project like that, and even the best programmer in the universe will have problems solving other aspects, like game design, visual art, sounds, server maintenance, etc, etc. It's a expensive project.

Start at the beginning, make simple singleplayer games, when you're confortable with that, make simple local multiplayer games. By the time you're confortable with that you'll understand why an MMORPG is not a project you want to do by yourself. And check the "For beginners" subforum, specially the "Frequently Asked Questions" pinned thread.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement