🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Help Selecting a 3D Engine

Started by
4 comments, last by cdub 9 years, 3 months ago

I am venturing into the 3D realm for creating a game idea I have but I am having difficulty selecting a 3D game engine. Hopefully someone can help guide my decision.

Here is the criteria:

- 3D Level / Scene Editor with the ability to export a vertices file (.map or similar)

- Easily import Blender content (.fbx, .dae or .obj)

- C#

- User Interface with UI designer

- Free or relatively cheap (under $200)

I am leaning toward Unity 5 but I havent seen a way to generate a vertices file with unity yet for the scene. This will be needed for the server to test collisions and LOS.

Thanks for your time.

Advertisement

You'll find plenty on http://www.devmaster.net is worth a look. Also, there's https://www.unrealengine.com/

Unreal recently added support for C#, but definitely, Unity3d should be your first choice. Are you completely sure that you cant get the whole scene geometry in some way?

Thanks for the replies, I was able to find a terrain script to export the scene geometry. I may still look at the unreal tournament.

Unity is probably your best bet. It has everything I think you want except that you'd need a way to code the exportation to the server of the geometry. Is this a custom thing that the player does? Or could you just give the server what it needs beforehand? Either way, Unity5 is still likely your best choice, but the answer would determine what methods you use. In any case, networked games are generally a PITA from what I've seen so I wouldn't recommend it if it one of your first few games unless you are fond of pain...

This thread might be a little old, but I'd like to point out that Unreal Engine has a really nice framework for networked games. From what I can tell most of the basics are built in. Have a function replicated and there you go, the function works over a network.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement