🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

VS 2015 debugger not able to show string content

Started by
5 comments, last by SmkViper 8 years, 9 months ago

Hello!

Not long ago I switched from Visual Studio 2013 to new Visual Studio 2015. Everything went good, compiling and working on it, is much faster then before. Few new diagnostic tools, great! But... I have ugly problem which destroys everything. When I run my problem with debuger, breaks somwhere in the code, and try to look on my string variable, I can't see it's content. Instead of it, I see npos value=4294967295 and two (error) = 0. Other types of variables, even from my class works fine. Does anyone have same problem or know how to fix it?

Thanks!

Advertisement
Are you debugging a release or otherwise optimized version of your program? Optimizations can make it hard for debuggers to find variables in memory (assuming they haven't been removed entirely or their memory re-used by another variable whose lifetime doesn't overlap)

Are you debugging a release or otherwise optimized version of your program? Optimizations can make it hard for debuggers to find variables in memory (assuming they haven't been removed entirely or their memory re-used by another variable whose lifetime doesn't overlap)

No, i use proper (not modified, setup from installation) debug compilation. Even when I create new project with simple "Hello World" variable it doesn't work...

I've been seeing this with VS 2015 community, too, but only with std::wstring. std::string seems to work as expected. I would be interested in an answer to this as well.

Do you have a screenshot of the bug? I can't figure out what might be wrong from the OP's description. (And don't have a copy of 2015 on me to test right now)

If Oberon is correct and it's restricted to wstring then my guess is going to be that the debugger either isn't displaying multi-byte characters correctly, or it's using standard chars for storage and trying to display a multi-byte string as a 8-bit string. Though I would imagine that VS would ship with a visualizer that handled that...

Edit: I almost forgot - are you debugging a purely native app? (No /clr flag, no mixed-mode debugging, no C++/CX or C++/CLI) Some of VS's visualizers only work in pure native mode only.
Microsoft Connect is the proper place to raise these issues, as that will get you feedback from Microsoft itself, and also get a bug logged in their tracker in case something is genuinely wrong with VS and needs to be fixed in their code.

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

Microsoft Connect is the proper place to raise these issues, as that will get you feedback from Microsoft itself, and also get a bug logged in their tracker in case something is genuinely wrong with VS and needs to be fixed in their code.

That too. I'll be damned if I could figure out how to search the site for existing reported issues though... I usually have to go through a link someone posts on stackoverflow.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement