🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Does anyone know if Nvidia APEX Particles and Cloth runs on AMD?

Started by
1 comment, last by LandonJerre 8 years, 1 month ago

I've been looking through Nvidia GameWorks, and it looks like that some of their libraries are no longer Nvidia only, which is nice. However, I'm curious if anyone knows if the APEX cloth and particles can run on a GPU produced by AMD.

Nvidia has had a fricken HORRIBLE reputation for making things apply to only their gpus in the past. And while I would love to use it, I'd rather not support Nvidia's BS.

Advertisement

I don't know about now, but in the past they've allowed the CPU versions of their products to work across vendors, but the GPU versions have used CUDA, which is NVidia-only.

I've seen game players use hacks to enable CUDA->OpenCL translation for games, tricking these NVidia products into working on AMD, but as a dev, that kind of thing would probably get you blacklisted from working with NVidia :lol:

I've been looking through Nvidia GameWorks, and it looks like that some of their libraries are no longer Nvidia only, which is nice. However, I'm curious if anyone knows if the APEX cloth and particles can run on a GPU produced by AMD.

Nvidia has had a fricken HORRIBLE reputation for making things apply to only their gpus in the past. And while I would love to use it, I'd rather not support Nvidia's BS.

GPU based simulation will only run on nVidia cards, but as far as I know every module will function properly with CPU only too. The thing is, if you're going to use the GitHub version of the SDK, that doesn't contain Particles and Turbulence as far as I know, only Destruction and Clothing. (There are traces of the missing modules, but a bunch of the source appears missing.) On the other hand, the older binary only versions probably won't function with "modern" Visual Studio versions. (I remember taking the binaries from UE4 as a temporary fix, because nVidia's official distribution didn't work with VS2013, while Epic probably had source access to the entire thing, so they built it with 2013.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement