🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking to gain some experience in Game Development

Started by
1 comment, last by Crunchy Gremlin 7 years, 3 months ago

Hello there,

To begin, here's a little about me: I am currently a college student pursuing a degree in Computer Science. I've thought about changing to Game Development many times, but stand still in my tracks in fear of specialization and losing the opportunity to gain a job outside of the gaming industry. I've grown up playing many different video games and have found myself particularly captivated by FPS's and MMORPG's. In fact, I even made money playing video games. Now, I would like to gain some experience in Game Development and see if my childhood hobby can become the foundation of a career. I have yet to experience what type of programming I really enjoy, but I've always been fascinated with the mechanics behind player movement and how NPC's function (Artificial Intelligence). I have touched both the Unreal and Unity game engines before, but never really got into the coding side of it. I have experimented with my own personal story-boarding for fun and honestly think I have some crazy cool ideas, of which many are beyond my personal ability at the moment. One example of this is a post-apocalyptic FPS on a distant planet with factions and a player vs. NPC world (similar to 'Destiny' in a sense).

What I desire:

• A team of friendly, interactive developers
  • An intermediate to advanced programmer to learn from
  • A group to collaborate and share ideas with
  • An introduction to Game Development to help me understand what career path I really desire
  • Advice on where to start, what resources to tap, and what skills to learn that Universities don't teach you

Underlying message:

I have some coding experience in C, C++, Java, Python, HTML, and CSS, but don't really know anything applicable to any of the languages. Unfortunately, college today doesn't teach much beyond introduction to the languages before specialized courses and I need help through experiences to determine whether to choose that specialized path or not. I am willing to collaborate with any group of individuals. As mentioned above, I am a college student, and I work, so I may not be able to dedicate myself to a project every week. If you, yourself, are also a beginner developer or fit any of the aforementioned bullets, feel free to reach out and contact me! Thanks!

Advertisement

hey i have a full team that is determined to make a thirdperson shooter and post it on steam and hope you can consider joining,it will be very good and will be making money,contact me if your interested on

If you're looking for Desktop/PC game development and have previous experience with managed languages, perhaps you'd be interested in StarDrive - BlackBox, a real-time 4X game? The game is written in C#/XNA and is a continued development of the original game, so it's strictly a hobby project. It's a game with a ton of potential and a codebase that needs a lot of love.

We are currently in the progress of refactoring and adding new combat features along with a general storyline. There's a lot to do and improve, so it's a project where you can definitely contribute easily.
Here's the link to our Bitbucket page: https://bitbucket.org/CrunchyGremlin/sd-blackbox
Here's our Discord dev chat: https://discord.gg/gnQQv5C
And here's an example of current (refactored) code: sd-blackbox/Gameplay/SpatialManager.cs

If you're interested, join us in our Discord chat! :)

--
Regards,

StarDrive BlackBox Team

stardrive_blackbox.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement