🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Mali OpenGL ES emulator conflict with SDL2 on linux

Started by
4 comments, last by Bregma 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm developing an android game and have been primarily using a PC build (on windows) with the Mali OpenGL ES 2.0 emulator, with a secondary Android Studio build for the devices. For various reasons I'm trying to change over to Linux, and I have Linux Mint on a new PC, and so I'm trying to get a similar PC build working under linux, however I am an absolute beginner at linux.

It seems that a sensible option might be to use SDL on linux for stuff like creating a window, keyboard input etc. I gather that SDL2 is just the most up to date version of SDL, so I have been installing that with apt-get. However, when I try and install the Mali OpenGL ES emulator from ARM, I am getting a conflict:

installed package 'libegl1-mesa-dev' conflicts with the installed package 'libgles2-mesa-dev'

I am guessing this means that both SDL2 and Mali have some egl functionality, and they are treading on each others toes? There is some mention of this in the Mali help file:

Caution: OpenGL ES Emulator can conflict with other OpenGL ES implementations if such are
installed on your system. In particular, it will conflict with libEGL.so and libGLES.so libraries
installed with libgles2-mesa, libegl1-mesa packages. The dpkg tool will refuse to install
OpenGL ES Emulator DEB package. We recommend removing these conflicting Mesa libraries
prior to installing the Emulator. If for any reason you would like to have both conflicting software
installed on your machine, you can enforce the installation by adding --force-all command
line option:

Is this --force-all option what I should do? Or is there no way to get SDL2 and Mali to play together? If not SDL2 then how should I be using Mali under linux (i.e. what other API should I be talking to for creating a window, keyboard input etc?)?

Advertisement

The emulator libraries are conflicting with the video drivers for your host operating system.  You could remove the video drivers for your host operating system (like by using --force-all) if you want, but the productivity resulting from staring at a black screen is relatively low.

I'm not sure how this emulator is supposed to work, but my guess is you're supposed to be installing the driver package in an ARM image that gets run using QEMU or something.  That means you'd either be building in the ARM virtual machine itself (in which case there should be no conflict, because it's a separate OS install) or else cross-building on the host in which case the packages should not conflict because they'd have different installation paths.  So either the packaging for the libraries you're trying to install is completely broken for your purpose, or you're trying to set up and install incorrectly.

Do you know if the Android Studio you're using on Linux does cross-compiling on the host or does it use a full system VM?

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

The Mali OpenGL ES emulator works afaik by translating the openg es calls into regular desktop opengl calls, only allowing a subset of the full opengl, and performing lots of validation. This is what it appeared to do on windows, and everything I've read suggests it may be doing the same on linux.

What is slightly confusing is that there may be some kind of mesa opengl es support built into my linux, presumably as it may be running on hardware that *does* natively support opengl es(?). What that does if you call it without hardware support I have no idea, I wish I could find some decent linux for dummies tutorials lol.:$

I did manage to successfully install the mali emulator by first uninstalling sdl2. However, it gets worse. Their test cube app failed, apparently because it is trying to use the fallback compatibility opengl 3.0 profile instead of the core 4.3 profile on my kaby lake PC. The docs suggest this maybe because they've only tested it with nvidia hardware, but I haven't a clue, maybe I would have to force it to use the core profile somehow.

I'm now trying to get some PowerVR OpenGL ES emulator working, in the hope it plays nicer. I have managed to get some SDL / opengl es code to compile and link, but not show a triangle yet so I don't know if it is working...:/

Doh! O.o After all that, I'm getting the inkling that linux may just support opengl es 2.0 out of the box, via the open source mesa driver thingies. Here was me thinking it was something to do with the black mesa research facility. Anyway I've successfully got a triangle on the screen, am praying it is not software emulated... :D

GNU/Linux supports OpenGL ES 2 out of the box.  Desktop, phone, tablet, toaster, it doesn't matter.

The Mesa drivers implement a common codepath for most of OpenGL and OpenGL ES, and uses hardware acceleration where available for Intel and AMD hardware (either through the Gallium libraries or the open-source AMD libraries).  The nVidia binary blob drivers do the same thing as the Mesa drivers, but through binary blobs so you'd need inside information to know that.

The Mali drivers are for ARM hardware.  You can, of course, run GNU/Linux on ARM hardware, and you can run Android/Linux on ARM hardware.  This may be why it's confusing, and trying to install the ARM Mali drivers on an x86 GNU/Linux desktop system is just going to give you grief.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement