🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

In searhc of engine

Started by
5 comments, last by Lord Gwynn 6 years, 10 months ago

Hi there   im just going right to the point im tired of explaining myself and who i am, Im searching for a engine that has actual mmo capabilities, Im looking to make a simple top down game like Ragnarok online( no not exactly like it, just similar style, Unity is a shit  engine to me and i straight refuse to use it, and UE4  doesn't have the multiplayer support im aiming for without dumbing everything down, i'v been working on making my own client to use with rathena which is used for Ragnarok privet server, why i was  doing this is becosue all the back end is there and functional, but im limited in knowledge and cant seem to get any help on their forums on what commands i need to send, so in short im looking for a game engine that has allot of the back end already in place , so all i need to do is add content, mod it doesn't have to be over the top with graphics which is why i can't use UE4 cause character meshes and graphics is what limiting more than 64 player support. on another not i would be willing to pay someone to create a client to work with the rathene server and if anyone know i good place to look for programmers please let me know

Advertisement
57 minutes ago, Lord Gwynn said:

UE4  doesn't have the multiplayer support im aiming for without dumbing everything down

Welcome to forums...

What do you mean by this? What support is missing and what things you would need to dumb down? Also, you mentioned mmo, how many players you foresee to have in this game?

"Premade MMO engine" is pretty much the same level of unicorn as "rentable Moon rockets."

Yes, people have made MMOs - much like they've made trips to the moon.

Both ventures are extremely difficult, time and resource intensive, expensive, and not really the kind of thing that's accessible to someone looking to dabble as a hobby.

Because they are hard, and expensive, and require considerable expertise, neither Moon vacations nor MMO engines are easy to find.

If you're willing to take on an MMO project, you should probably be prepared to start from little more than a graphics API wrapper and some libraries. It'll be easier to build from minimalism than it is to retrofit the engines of today in such a way that they can suit an MMO's unique demands. In other words, in the time it'd take you to rip apart an engine and rebuild it so that it could handle being an MMO engine, you could just as well have written from near-scratch.

I would encourage you to do some research on why so many hobby MMO projects fail (and commercial ones for that matter).

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

1 hour ago, DoctorGlow said:

Welcome to forums...

What do you mean by this? What support is missing and what things you would need to dumb down? Also, you mentioned mmo, how many players you foresee to have in this game?

Thank you! glad to of joined ^_^

I mean that with UE4 to get a a stable map with more than 64 players from what i understand i would have to change the way it handles player and character meshes.  as for projected players , if i can get to where i desire and after all the content i need to add,, i could see around to a 200 player base after 3-5 month after release , and hopefully growing to to 1k+ after 1.5-2 years, but in all seriosness i would like to support atleast 5k player on a server. 

This is why im been trying to figure out on how to make a client to hook into the rathena server, and not use Ragnaroks which is copy writed. it support 5k+ players  easy with godo server, and has most of the back end that i need is  already there like exp, stats, effects,guild wars,,guilds, account system,login system, etc, everything i need to begin is there, i just need to make the client and create the content to go with it, you could almost think of the client as just a GUI interface, i just cant find any information on how rathena handles input which im still digging for,

i have thought about this allot i didn't think of this yesterday, and i feel if i could just get on the right track to making my own client to hook into rathena would be my best option, im not going for over top mechanics, supreme graphic or anything like that, just take a look at ragnarok no its not huge, but with official and privet servers include there is at-least 35k player base altogether, and the recently released ragnarok restart essiently them re releasing the game from the ground up same content same system nothing is changing, and it population is over 5k and it graphics are made out of sprites. i don't expect my game to be as popular or that successful minor it may be i know 35k is really massive but i feel what i have in mind could deliver need content in rpg that haven't been done and some that people would like to see return, and if it successful great, if it falls flat on its face or i can't seem to get anywhere with it thats ok, as long as i know i tried to do something about it.

Take a look at Hero Engine, it was used in Star Wars the Old Republic and Elder Scrolls Online (both are MMO's). The engine in those games were heavily modified, but it may fit your needs without custom or extensive modifications. 

10 minutes ago, DoctorGlow said:

Take a look at Hero Engine, it was used in Star Wars the Old Republic and Elder Scrolls Online (both are MMO's). The engine in those games were heavily modified, but it may fit your needs without custom or extensive modifications. 

i have been looking at hero engine just really wish i could test it out

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement