🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Could I use a raspberry pi as a server for a mobile game.

Started by
13 comments, last by alnite 6 years, 9 months ago

+1 For using virtualbox to figure this stuff out before deciding/deploying anything.

Advertisement
10 hours ago, hplus0603 said:

($10/month,) interserver ($6/month,) or Amazon Lightsail ($5/month and up, plus networking fees.) Of course, as your server needs grow, you will need to pay more for the server hosting.

So, your web hosting provider has a plan that lets you "host" somehow?

The prices they give me matches very near to what you listed above. So I think I have a virtual server with limited storage and bandwith.

I know that it works. Using the domain name I was provided with and sample code I can link my scoreboard with all the mobiles I have. It's not as convenient as Facebook because there was conflicts with the score board and one player appeared twice on the list. I don't know if I can change the domain name, it looks random generated using my name and some letters and numbers.

A quick search online shows that what I am doing wrong is sorting on the client side. I think this is a virtual server I have, as they did provide me with a sample that shows a basic employee profile login to the server.

3 hours ago, Bregma said:

If you're looking to get into server development and management, get yourself VirtualBox (or VMWare) and set up local test servers as virtual devices on a local workstation in a virtual network.

Thanks for this I am going to need all the practice I can get.

37 minutes ago, Scouting Ninja said:

I don't know if I can change the domain name

You would need to register your own domain name, then you can point the name to whatever hosting you want.  Just google domain registrars, should be straightforward.  It is yet another small cost though.

15 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

It's not as convenient as Facebook because there was conflicts with the score board and one player appeared twice on the list.

A quick search online shows that what I am doing wrong is sorting on the client side. I think this is a virtual server I have, as they did provide me with a sample that shows a basic employee profile login to the server.

You are starting to venture into the server-side development, knowing which logic to do on client vs server, how to prevent duplicate entries, and among many other fun things.

15 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

I don't know if I can change the domain name, it looks random generated using my name and some letters and numbers.

Once you have your own domain, it's just a matter of updating your CNAME record.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement