🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Any idea on this boss mechanism?

Started by
14 comments, last by v790 6 years, 6 months ago

Hi guys

I'm trying to design a Boss which has a special mechanism based on a 2.5D ARPG. In some cases,it can generate a lot of fog,then the players only have a limited view.

This situation has a feature: Players don't know where the Boss is and the surrouding situation,I want to make sth interesting based on this.

on this occasion,I have several ideas:

1. Boss have different ability in the fog,like being much more powerful,it is hard for players to avoid the skills.
2. Players can destroy or build sth to clear away the fog,then it is easier to fight the Boss.

I wonder is there any other things Boss can do based on the limited view of players?The ideas above are not special enough I think. Do u guys have any suggestion?

Advertisement

Hi there,

I really like the idea of a fog-based enemy but I think that the combination of fog (limited view for the player) and this

9 hours ago, Jomissle said:

1. Boss have different ability in the fog,like being much more powerful,it is hard for players to avoid the skills.

could result in excessive difficulty (unless you want this) because you are enhancing the enemy's abilities while weakening the player's.

Personally, I think it'd be interesting to use the fog as a "hiding" mechanism for the enemy. For example, It could use it if its health drops and take advantage of the limited visual capabilities of the player to regain health. Player-side this results in a situation where you are "weakened" (low visual) but you have the possibility to find the enemy while it is regaining health and possibly deal lots of damage (high difficulty, high reward if you find it).

Vittorio Morrone.

Game designer in Milestone s.r.l.

Live for stories, games and Artificial Intelligence.

http://www.vittoriomorrone.com/

I agree with V790, the boss should be more dangerous(attacking) while visible,

it's okay to have the boss make a surprise-jump out of the fog towards the player as long as he doesn't deal max-damage on impact.

10 hours ago, Jomissle said:

2. Players can destroy or build sth to clear away the fog,then it is easier to fight the Boss.

Keep the boss in a room, have thick fog near the walls, let the player make the fog thinner at points so the player knows when the boss is moving through those points to the other wall(s) of the room.

40 minutes ago, v790 said:

Hi there,

I really like the idea of a fog-based enemy but I think that the combination of fog (limited view for the player) and this

could result in excessive difficulty (unless you want this) because you are enhancing the enemy's abilities while weakening the player's.

Personally, I think it'd be interesting to use the fog as a "hiding" mechanism for the enemy. For example, It could use it if its health drops and take advantage of the limited visual capabilities of the player to regain health. Player-side this results in a situation where you are "weakened" (low visual) but you have the possibility to find the enemy while it is regaining health and possibly deal lots of damage (high difficulty, high reward if you find it).

Hi there,thanks for ur suggestion. I agree with ur viewpoint of the first idea. I think I go to the wrong region of change for change,which ingore the player's strategy. (The initial idea is that it is really cool that Boss have different skill mechanism in the fog,:P)

I really like ur idea of hiding,in fact,I also thought about that,but I have a doubt about the situation when the players are trying to find the boss,will this process be too boring? (In my mind, players will rush around,try to find the Boss as fast as possible). How do u think about this?

Besides that,

you have the possibility to find the enemy while it is regaining health and possibly deal lots of damage (high difficulty, high reward if you find it).

I'm a little bit confused about the high difficulty part, do u mean the finding Boss part?

7 minutes ago, Jomissle said:

I'm a little bit confused about the high difficulty part, do u mean the finding Boss part?

Yes, I was thinking something like:

-The boss is weak and puts up the fog

-The boss hides (maybe with the aid of obstacles created with the fog, maybe a sort of maze?)

-The boss starts to heal itself, but in the process it's very weak

-If the player manages to find the boss before it charges its healing, he can deal massive damages

This way, the fog mechanism triggers a change of the gameplay, in fact, without fog you have a classical ARPG battle while, when the fog is up, you have a sort of "hide and seek" gameplay.

I also like this:

22 minutes ago, Dramolion said:

it's okay to have the boss make a surprise-jump out of the fog towards the player as long as he doesn't deal max-damage on impact.

which could be used after the boss heals itself and which could also wipe the fog away, returning to the classical ARPG battle.

In the end, finding the boss in the "Hide and seek" mode is more difficult but you will be able to deal a massive amount of damage

1 hour ago, v790 said:

(high difficulty, high reward if you find it)

Hope you find it useful :)

Vittorio Morrone.

Game designer in Milestone s.r.l.

Live for stories, games and Artificial Intelligence.

http://www.vittoriomorrone.com/

This is definitely a feature that will need to be tested thoroughly if you want to implement this, because it could either work really well, or be the hardest boss fight in the game.

In a general sense, as long as there is still strategy behind the fight then you can make the idea work. If the fog results in literally just guessing in random places to attack or defend, then you've reduced the battle to a complete guessing game.

Mend and Defend

4 hours ago, Jordan Hoffman said:

If the fog results in literally just guessing in random places to attack or defend, then you've reduced the battle to a complete guessing game.

Actually, I think the fog mechanism is more like a interval feature, it will not go through the whole battle. Maybe like when the Boss’s is 70% & 40%,then there goes the fog. So it will not be a complete guessing game,more like a classical APRG with some different gameplay  experience.

12 hours ago, v790 said:

In the end, finding the boss in the "Hide and seek" mode is more difficult but you will be able to deal a massive amount of damage

Thanks for ur sharing,it helps a lot. I am trying to create some elements that will make the finding part more difficult and interesting.

8 hours ago, BlackMagicWolf said:

This is definitely a feature that will need to be tested thoroughly if you want to implement this,

yeah,it definitely need to be tested. I wonder whether the player will understand the fog mechanism naturally.

Maybe the boss (assuming it sees through fog) could throw something at the player:

• it would provide interesting dodging action (perhaps while the player is busy dispersing fog)
  • it would indirectly give away the location of the boss, so that attacking blindly (e.g. by aiming a crosshair to an arbitrary place on the screen) becomes meaningfully skil-based rather than pure guessing.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement