🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Online Game competition

Started by
6 comments, last by MuppetRat 5 years, 9 months ago

I want to ask an example of a skill level game that allow players to win real money while playing? Was it even possible?

NeverWing2

Advertisement

Hi NeverWing2,

every eSports title allows players to win money in tournaments and competitions. It's just a really small percentage of players who win money compared to the player base.

Do you mean testing the players skill against a computer or other human players? Because each of this brings a lot of different problems with it.

How do you prevent cheating?
How do you deal with underage players?
What about different (gaming) equipment?
Network latency?

I don't think there is a (popular) game, that allows you to bet real money money on the games you are playing yourself in (might even be forbidden in some countries).

There were games I encountered in Google Play. The first one is like a game puzzle where you guys compete and you earn money when your group wins, there is also this one called Joongo where you can earn donuts that was just like money.

NeverWing2

On 8/23/2018 at 7:56 AM, NeverWing2 said:

I want to ask an example of a skill level game that allow players to win real money while playing? Was it even possible?

47 minutes ago, NeverWing2 said:

There were games I encountered in Google Play.  ... like a game puzzle... and you earn money... there is also this one called Joongo...

So you answered your own question!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

On 8/23/2018 at 7:56 AM, NeverWing2 said:

Sports gambling if you're good at it.  Online poker too.  In the mid-00's I remember Bodog poker was the big site, they had a free to play with no money and a legit gambling section I think.  It was pretty well populated and there were always full tables.  Those are the 2 skill based games online you can win money at I know of.  I wouldn't even trust Black Jack online because it's against the house and I don't trust the behind the scenes stuff to not be skewed in their favor.

I wouldn't trust any game that offered me money just to play because there has to be a catch.  With gambling on poker and sports bookie sites is an obvious pay to play, you may win formula.  What you are describing sounds like the shady part of the Play Store.

How do you as the designer and I'm assuming the publisher expect to just break even let alone turn a profit?  Are you data mining the devices?  Is the EULA going to be long, small font legalese where people unwittingly agree to become web cam performers?  Are there going to be so many ad's the game itself will just be padding for commercials "players" are paid a portion of the proceeds to watch? There has to be a catch.

Keep in mind that there are often strict regulations on this sort of thing, that (potentially expensive) gaming permits may be required, and that certain platforms (App Store, Play Store, etc.) may either disallow or strictly regulate apps involving cash prizes.

Check out the Play Store's fairly strict requirements for example. TL;DR: They only allow them in The UK, Ireland and France, and then only if you meet a list of conditions.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I though this was a competition about who can produce the best games lol

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement