Advertisement

Where to begin

Started by September 16, 2019 09:44 PM
2 comments, last by Green_Baron 5 years ago

Hi! 

I'm posting today because I'm tired of procrastinating! It's time I get stuff done so here I am attempting to do just that. Games have been a big interest to me and the idea of making a game please me greatly. I am a C++ beginner and know very basic rules about the language. 

The game I look to create is a top down 2D space game inspired greatly by Dark Orbit and both Space Pirates and Zombies 1&2. From previous research I've broken down my individual goals and steps. I love the combat system, and would like to get it working first. 

Goals for my first step:

1.) SPaZ style Shooting

2.) Dark orbit ammo change(I. E default ammo then press a button to another ammo which changes colour) 

3.) Spawn enemies by an enemy base

4.) For this version have a default base. Kill the base win the game

5.) Default Human base which spawns allies and is your respawn point

6.) Ally and enemy A.I

With all of this said here are my questions

1.) Is godot the right engine for this project? I have started a project where I got the ship to move but can't get it to shoot. 

2.) Is my current goal list a good and realistic list to aim for as a starting point? 

3.) Do you have any tutorials to recommend? 

4.) How should I go about tackling this list? What order should I go in? 

5.) Generally how hard is it for a developer to make a 2D Space Faction sandbox game? I notice that this genre is rather uncommon among newer games and wonder if this may be the reason. 

6.) Given that I am artistically challenged I'm currently using assets, however eventually I need to get better art together. I don't know how to overcome this other than asking someone to hopefully work with me lol. Do you guys have any recommendations for this? 

Additional Info:

I'm currently working Full Time 8:30 to 17:30/18:00. I'm on leave for 2 weeks so figure this is the best time to start. 

My knowledge of C++ is very limited only knowing a few functions off by heart. If I were to sit down and do something, I could probably make a cool text-based JRPG with no art or U.I. Lol so I'm not sure how experienced that is. I studied C++ in college for a year as BTEC. Barely able to pass. I had to make monopoly, but I half made it and still passed due to my brutal analysis of my code. 

The basic idea of the game is to have an open world 2d space game like SPaZ an D.O. Multiple factions like SPaZ 2 or Planet Side 2 with a constantly progressing and simulating map that fight over land hexs in a 4x style. Eventually I want to have MOBA style Ability-Casting as well as the ammo changing. I'd like a lot of customisation for this game so good U.I

LA

Hello!

Let me start by saying I have 0 experience and have no insight to provide!

I am starting my journey by learning C++, I as well am trying to break through the procrastination phase due to work and life.

After weeks of research I have concluded the following 3 key points:

1. Do NOT use exceptions in coding

2. Concept a game, it must be heavily documented even if its in spastic notes that only you can read. It will allow you to gather your thoughts into a workload checklist you can tackle one at a time. (or use a service like trello to help self motivate) trying to build and concept simultaneously will double your stress level.

3. Unity is the best engine for 2D, specifically for those who are just starting out, more information available, better tutorials and more support. After you learn I am told its (somewhat) a matter of preference.

Again, sorry for the absolutely useless comment, but I just felt the need to say something because WildTangent's Dark Orbit was one of my favorite video games growing up, and as a gamer your idea sounds like something I would love to play, I my self plan to make a rpg similar to superstar saga.

I wish you the best of luck

Advertisement
48 minutes ago, Dreamered said:

1.) Is godot the right engine for this project? I have started a project where I got the ship to move but can't get it to shoot. 

Absolutely. Or one of the many others. Godot has the advantage of not costing nothing and being fully open source. It also has a lot of tutorials that cover some of your points, as you probably already found out.

2.) Is my current goal list a good and realistic list to aim for as a starting point? 

I'd principally say yes. Be prepared that things may not always run smoothly and sometimes one needs some patience. And it won't be done in 2 weeks !

3.) Do you have any tutorials to recommend? 

If you're up to Godot, then those of course. They will keep you occupied.

4.) How should I go about tackling this list? What order should I go in? 

If you carry on in with a game engine, get to know the engine, its editor, handling of game assets, programming or scripting the logic, etc. If you want to go in low level with C or C++ and APIs for graphics etc., expect a long and thorny way until you have the first results.

My knowledge of C++ is very limited only knowing a few functions off by heart. If I were to sit down and do something, I could probably make a cool text-based JRPG with no art or U.I. Lol so I'm not sure how experienced that is. I studied C++ in college for a year as BTEC. Barely able to pass. I had to make monopoly, but I half made it and still passed due to my brutal analysis of my code. 

Err, well, in a year it should be possible to learn the basics of game programming even for an archaeologist. The language evolves quicker than tutorials on the internet can keep up with. Maybe learncpp.com ? A udemy course ? I personally like books more than all the stuff on the internet, but i learned C++ mainly from two German books. Don't know about good English textbooks on modern C++ ... Stroustrup is as thrilling as a European capital's telephone book from the 80s. Just thicker.

The basic idea of the game is to have an open world 2d space game like SPaZ an D.O. Multiple factions like SPaZ 2 or Planet Side 2 with a constantly progressing and simulating map that fight over land hexs in a 4x style. Eventually I want to have MOBA style Ability-Casting as well as the ammo changing. I'd like a lot of customisation for this game so good U.I

I'd say start with sketching what you want in an engine like Godot. That could probably be done in your time off, at least to a degree that you have a better foundation for the next steps. Stay with the engine for speed's sake or switch to real programming for further procrastination ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement