🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Direct Draw Fault

Started by
8 comments, last by Spike 24 years, 5 months ago
Something that I have known about for a very long time is the fact that direct draw surfaces must be divisible by 8 in there size. As much as I have learned to live with this, it still bugs me at why this is so. If anyone knows, please tell me about it. Any help apreciated Spike
~SpikeYou can contact me at luke_howard@dingoblue.net.au
Advertisement
I''m pretty sure they simply need to be a power of 2, so each side must be 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, or 1024. The actual range of allowed sizes may be different than 2-1024; I''m just guessing.

Anyway, this is done with many engines to make calculations faster; bit shifting is faster than multiplication and much faster than division. An example of shifting power-of-10 numbers is left-shifting 1000.300 to make it 10003.00; left-shifting it one time is the same as multiplying it by 10^1. Computers use binary math, so left-shifting a number x number of times (number << x)is the same as multiplying it by 2^x. Right-shifting a number x times (number >> x) is the same as dividing it by 2^x.

~CGameProgrammer( );

~CGameProgrammer( ); Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
It might also have something to do with the fact that Intel machines like to deal with things on a 4-byte basis (memory alignment).

Mason McCuskey
Spin Studios - home of Quaternion, 2000 GDC Indie Games Fest Finalist!
www.spin-studios.com
Founder, Cuttlefish Industries
The Cuttlefish Engine lets anyone develop great games for iPad, iPhone, Android, WP7, the web, and more!
Thanks guys.

cprogrammer(), i think your right.

mason, even though what you say might be the case, I don't think so.

Spike

Edited by - Spike on 1/26/00 4:34:12 PM
I think Mason is correct

***BINS***
***BINS***
Maybe I''m crazy, but I''ve never had any problems with Surfaces that aren''t powers of two. I''ve had surfaces of all sizes without any problems.

I do know for sure that textures need to be powers of 2. Is this what your refering to?

--TheGoop
To theGoop,

I am refering to surfaces. Try and build a surface that is 19 by 19. Then watch as your program totally messes up the images and anything else you may be trying to write to the surface. It is also possible for it to perform an illegal operation.

Spike
When I''ve created surfaces... in my experience... they''ve only gotten garbled when they were in video memory, but in system memory they always seem to work right no matter how large they are. Why? I don''t know.

Al
Alexbigshot@austin.rr.comFoolish man give wife grand piano. Wise man give wife upright organ.
Well, what version of directdraw are u using? DDraw 7 surfaces work fine for me no matter what their sizes...
I am using DX 5. So if you are using DX 7, microsoft have probably already fixed up the problem.

Spike

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement