🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Tycoon/Idle tyoe simulations - programming customers and the like

Started by
1 comment, last by Alberth 4 years, 5 months ago

Hi all,

Question. Im looking for some help finding a kit/asset or any kind of tutorial on building an idle/tcoon type simulation. In particular Im looking at several titles produced by Codigames for android and some others for ios like Idle car salesman. Instead of the typical idle type game these implement customers coming in to whatever and making purchases to increase the players income. I've checked the unity asset store and cant find anything there, but more importantly I think im looking for information behind the math and code used to generate the customers, how many etc, I would love to find the kit they are using to study, i know its out there somewhere as many many devs have released games with it.. Any thoughts on where to find some good articles / tutorials on this?

Squiggly Frog - My little project place on the web. Updated as I see fit. =)

Advertisement

The math in this area is named 'stochastic distributions', and it's used to model anything where random plays a role.

Modeling arrival of new clients can be simulated using a poisson distribution. Not sure for picking items, but picking how many items get bought could be modeled as a normal distribution. As to which items, you could make a list of items, and use a uniform distribution to pick the i-th item. If you want to distinguish between slow-runners and fast-runners, you could give each item a weight and pick on cumulative weight, or simply insert the same item more often in the list so it has a bigger chance of getting picked.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement