🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Just a Question

Started by
8 comments, last by Tom Sloper 4 years, 5 months ago

I was wondering, what are the odds of bringing a large game to fruition when you lack the skills to create even the simplest prototype. I have an idea, as does everyone else, for an RPG size comparable to Skyrim. I believe some of the features for the game, such as the control scheme and other elements, are extremely unique, immersive, and fun. If I were to create an in-depth, detailed game design doc, what is the potential for a game studio or producer to pick it up?

Advertisement

NewtoThis215 said:

I was wondering, what are the odds of bringing a large game to fruition when you lack the skills to create even the simplest prototype. I have an idea, as does everyone else, for an RPG size comparable to Skyrim. I believe some of the features for the game, such as the control scheme and other elements, are extremely unique, immersive, and fun. If I were to create an in-depth, detailed game design doc, what is the potential for a game studio or producer to pick it up?

I think next to none. A studio the size needed to create such a game already employ their own designers and idea guys.

There's two things I think you can do with this:

1. Complete your detailed design doc: Then later in life when you apply for a gamedev position or when you study game design, you have something of your own to show. Just completing a detailed design doc would help you a lot in understanding how much is in a game etc. But a design doc is nothing if there's no game.
  2. Dial the idea back and develop it: I prefer this option. Scale back your idea. Firstly, why does it need to be the scope of Skyrim to be fun? If you have new features and mechanics that you think are fun, they will be fun in a much smaller scope game too. Can it be done in 2D?

#2 would require you to become a developer, obviously. If that's not a route you want to take, but you just want to be the “idea's guy”, you're going to have to study game design and somehow land one of those design jobs without any development background.

I'm interested in what your idea is though.

NewtoThis215 said:
If I were to create an in-depth, detailed game design doc, what is the potential for a game studio or producer to pick it up?

Zero. Development studios and producers don't have money. Only publishers have the money. And they don't accept ideas from someone who lacks the skills to create even the simplest prototype. http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson11.html

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I have two templates I thought were usefull for writing GDDs, regardless of if you are selling the idea or doing whatever else, this is a good point to structure it anyways

Template 1

Template 2

For those that wish to see the basic idea of the game, these are notes I simply threw together as quickly as possible to provide some understanding of the game and gameplay. PS Really sorry for the length and if you manage to bear with me, I thank you.

• First Person Action Swordplay RPG (Game contains very little ranged weaponry, even the aliens are forced to use and create hand-held weapons, only ranged weaponry are bows, crossbows, and variants as well as ballistas, cannons and other stationary weapons
• Weapons included but not limited to: 1 & 2 hand swords, maces, and axes, polearm weapons, daggers, fist weapons, etc. (Weapons aesthetic can be changed at the blacksmith, so every sword can look like your favorite sword, upon discovery of the proper recipe.)(Weapons can be enhanced and infused with Tek granting powerful effects, stat buffs, etc.)
• Armor included but not limited to: Helm, Mask, Helm accessories (horns, wings, etc.), Pauldrons, Chestplate, Cape/Tabard/Sash/etc, Belt, Leg Armor, Boots (Armor varies by material and affects the wearer, ex. Heavier armor reduces more damage but makes user less agile)
• Clothing included but not limited to: Hat, Mask, Eyewear, Top, Belt, Pants, Shoes (Clothing can be enhanced to grant wearer with different stat buffs)
• Parkour elements to enhance stealth and general gameplay and manueverability
• Scifi-Medieval blend (Human Kingdoms vs Alien Invaders)
Aliens will consist of humanoid soldier-like aliens as well as beast-like aliens, either can be found while roaming the continent or in large groups in various locations
-Player may find themselves up against 1 or 20 enemies at any given time, but the player wont feel forced into having to fight in the beginning as stealth is a large part of this game as well as the swordplay, at times player will be fighting several dozens of enemies with potentially 100+ npcs waging war, Player will feel somewhat outmatched or outnumbered in the beginning but once they learn the mechanics of the gameplay they will become better equipped to deal with threats
• Unique Story that could create multiple games or one long game
Basic Summary: Player must unite kingdoms in order to fend off demonic-like alien invaders and potentially discover the truth behind their presence.
• Unique and Insanely Immersive controls (player will have to fully learn the complex control system in order to reach their fullest potential for gameplay, a slow motion feature will be available to make learning the controls that much easier but the player will be inclined to deactivate the setting when he reaches a certain point to increase the immersion the game will have to offer. The cost of a complex control system comes the rewards of taking advantage of it when fully learned, when the player becomes advanced with the controls they will be able to flow through the battlefields smoothly and efficiently (Ex. of Scenario: Player deflects a strike by an enemy soldier, player slashes upward lightly and downward forcefully, severing the enemies sword arm off, player then forcefully swings upward to the right decapitating another enemy, player then charges another enemy, engages roll with arms extended toward enemy stabbing both swords into the enemy and rolling over him, as player comes out of roll he throws both swords forward into another enemy, player then sprints and leaps onto enemy knocking him down, player pulls both swords from enemy)
• CONTROL SCHEME (Not fleshed out)
Roaming (Movement, Actions, Stealth, etc.)
In Battle (Attacking, Defending, Abilities, etc.)

PS4 CONTROLLER
Roaming
Left Analog: Movement
Right Analog: Looking
X: Leap/Climb
TRIANGLE: Draw Weapon/Sheath Weapon
■: Action
●: Crouch/Sneak
●(Hold): Lay/Prone
●●: Dodge/Roll
R1: Reach/Grab
R2/T: Attack (no lock on)
R3: Lock On/ Initiate Battle Mode/ Aim
L1: Spell Wheel
L2/T: Raise Defense
L3: Sprint
L3(Hold): Charge
Pad: Open Game Menu (Map, Inventory, etc.)
SELECT: Switch 1st Person/3rd Person
START: Pause Game

In Battle
Left Analog: Movement
Right Analog: Looking
X: Leap
TRIANGLE: Draw Weapon/Sheath Weapon
■: Action/Reload
●: Duck
●(While Sprinting): Slide
●●: Dodge
●(Hold): Roll
●(Hold)(While Sprinting At Enemy): Roll over them
R1: Throw Weapon/Pick Up Weapon
R1(In the air): Reach
R2: Raise Arm(Right item)/Fire
R3: Change Between Attack/Defense
L1: Kick
L2: Raise Arm(Left item)/Fire
L3: Sprint
L3(Hold): Charge
Pad: Activate Slow Motion
SELECT: Switch 1st Person/3rd Person
SELECT(While paused): Open Game Menu
START: Pause Game

While Aiming
X: Firing Ability 1
TRIANGLE: Firing Ability 2
■: Reload
●: Firing Ability 3

• Every object in towns, dungeons, etc. can be interacted with for immersive experience (Player can enter the kingdom tavern, grab and hold a mug, and interact with it by pressing a button in which the inventory screen for beverages will open up, player selects ale and fills his cup up for him to then drink. The player can sit down at the inn in which they can press the interact button which will open up a menu with various action such as...WRITE: player takes out notebook & quill and may write what they like, EAT: player opens food inventory to select a dish. Once selected, player will have dish in front of him in which he may interact with by eating it. Etc.)
• 5 Kingdoms, each having a different yet similar biomes
• Kingdoms will excel in certain fields of battle which will purvey into their kingdom layouts and specialties they offer (Kingdom A: Physical might, colliseum, kingdom faction: WarBorne a group of the mightiest heroes with the sole belief that they were born to wage war / Kingdom B: Only kingdom with Tek, Tekromancers, strong army that utilizes Tek, peaceful but reserved, kingdom faction: Tek Magnate a small group containing the few people entrusted to bestow the gift of Tek by The Stranger. / Kingdom C: Rogue-like kingdom, soldiers and thieves, commanders and assassins, Black Market, stealth-driven specialties, kingdom faction: The Syndicate a crime gang specializing in burglary and heists, deeper inside the Syndicate lies The Dark Ones, men chosen to deliver the final blow to whom the Black Maiden chooses. /Kingdom D: Coastal Kingdom, pirates and navalmen, Deeper underwater exploration, ability to purchase a ship and recruit a crew to do as the player wishes such as raid naval ships, fight pirates, etc., kingdom faction: The Huntsmen a group of bounty hunters who hunt the most fearsome pirates that roam the seas, kingdom faction: The Branded a group of the most savage and fearsome pirates to ever roam the seas, led by Silas McCreed a young prodigy in the ways of the buccaneer and first mate to Dutch Blackheart, the most fearsome pirate captain to ever live. / Kingdom E: Island Kingdom, once home to some of the greatest military minds, now home to the alien creatures, completely overrun, where the initial Rift opened. No factions. Completely hostile kingdom.
• Map layout description: Continent (Kingdom A: Northwest/Kingdom B: Northeast/Kingdom C: Southeast/Kingdom D: Southwest/Kingdom E: Island that sits far east of the continent.
• Game should look as realistic as possible
• Game will include limb system to allow the player the ability to completely sever limbs and decapitate foes at will (Lighter attacks have little chance at severing limbs, but are faster to do.

THIS IS NOT ENTIRELY FLESHED OUT AND DEFINITELY NEEDS IMPROVEMENT
I have close to 20+ notes detailimg different aspects of the game.

Hi there, the scope of your game needs more that one person to create. If you are passionate on creating games, why not first read “Game Mechanics, Advanced Game Design” and “Art of Game Design”. If you have no one to help you on your game, start using World Editor like Warcraft 3 etc. like Dota started. I recommend reading them so you will have a better understanding on making games.

None

@undefined Thanks for the advice, and are those recommendations books or articles on this website? Being completely new to creating games, any and all advice is appreciated.

NewtoThis215 said:

@undefined Thanks for the advice, and are those recommendations books or articles on this website? Being completely new to creating games, any and all advice is appreciated.

You're about 20 years, 30 people, and about 60 million dollars away from the game you posted.

You need to start with something you can accomplish, and gradually work your way up from there. The first game to make is Pong.

NewtoThis215 said:
are those recommendations books … on this website?

Google book titles to find out where to purchase them.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement