🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Engine/Mesh/Bone Advice for Chao Garden inspired project

Started by
3 comments, last by Rutin 4 years, 5 months ago

Project Goals

My ultimate goal is to produce a simple 3D maze game featuring keys and locked doors, the twist on that formula being the inclusion of tameable monster companions – and the locks for some doors will in fact be stat checks for the monsters. For example, accessing one part of the maze may require a companion with a high “climbing” stat to reach a lever.

Although this will make up the game side of the experience, the main draw of the project to me will be in collecting and having fun with the recruitable monsters. The main inspiration comes from the Chao Gardens featured in Sonic Adventure 1 & 2.

Problem

I'm deciding between Unity and Unreal Engine based on how achievable the following is:

What matters most to me is constructing creatures that feel fun to watch and with recognisable distinguishing features. Exact size and scale should be somewhat randomised, some would have bigger heads or longer legs for example. Where I run into issues is in how to manipulate meshes or bones to make a creature look unique. For example, I would like to semi randomise horn length and shape such as in the examples below:

I would also like to swap out particular body parts without that interfering with animations, for example swapping standard legs for ones with webbed feet and having the walk animation continue to work.

Initial Goal

My first milestone will be to produce a basic creature with randomised physical attributes within a narrow spectrum. Whenever the simulation starts, a different (only slightly modified) creature will be generated and the walk animation should play regardless.

I'm new to this forum, if there's anything I should do to reorganize this post please let me know. In the future I'll also be more specific with issues I'm having, but in this case my main issue is in identifying which engine best suits my aims and a few particular issues I don't know how to resolve.

Thanks for reading, I'll try to improve and I'm open to answering any questions.

Advertisement

Honestly it is best to just download both engines and play with them and decide for yourself. You cannot go wrong using either Unreal or Unity. Otherwise people will just post what engine they prefer and that doesn't mean what they enjoy using is what you're going to enjoy using.

Programmer and 3D Artist

@Rutin Thanks for the response, I've used unity quite a bit - but I struggled in particular with the problem regarding swapping out body parts. I came to a complete dead end with no idea how to continue. Since then I started with Unreal Engine but kept running into little issues that kept putting me off, possibly down to a faulty installation to be fair as I was following a tutorial but still getting errors.

My hope for this thread is that someone has worked with either of these engines and attempted similar things as I am aiming to do, the worst case scenario I'm trying to avoid in particular is sticking to one engine and finding later that I'm fighting upstream with a limitation imposed on me by my choice of engine.

Maybe that's a silly concern, I do recognise that these are extremely flexible engines used by professionals. If anyone has a good argument for using one engine over another for this kind of project - great. If not, well I can put my mind at rest with fewer doubts in my mind. I know I put a few different questions in one thread, next time I make a thread on this forum I'll limit it to one and provide more specific context.

Clampfan665 said:

@Rutin Thanks for the response, I've used unity quite a bit - but I struggled in particular with the problem regarding swapping out body parts. I came to a complete dead end with no idea how to continue. Since then I started with Unreal Engine but kept running into little issues that kept putting me off, possibly down to a faulty installation to be fair as I was following a tutorial but still getting errors.

My hope for this thread is that someone has worked with either of these engines and attempted similar things as I am aiming to do, the worst case scenario I'm trying to avoid in particular is sticking to one engine and finding later that I'm fighting upstream with a limitation imposed on me by my choice of engine.

Maybe that's a silly concern, I do recognise that these are extremely flexible engines used by professionals. If anyone has a good argument for using one engine over another for this kind of project - great. If not, well I can put my mind at rest with fewer doubts in my mind. I know I put a few different questions in one thread, next time I make a thread on this forum I'll limit it to one and provide more specific context.

I would suggest you fix the problem you're running into with Unity and swapping out objects. I'm assuming you're referring to have a modular character? Don't swap back and forth between different engines when you run into issues like this because you're going to have the same problem in Unreal.

One basic way to handle modular characters by having a skeleton done and have all the parts as separate meshes then you just toggle them as needed, as long as those parts are rigged to that skeleton then you're good to go. Just make sure you have the correct weights per part. I do this 100% out of any engine by the way.

Unless you're at the level where you can maximize any of the two engines then what professionals say isn't going to apply.

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement