🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Making a simple RPG

Started by
5 comments, last by 8Observer8 4 years, 5 months ago

Hello, does anyone how to make a simple RPG? I will implement easy things like fighting with swords, talking with NPC… I don't need much else. However I was learning coding in Javascript and seems it didnt help me at all. is JS wrong language for coding games?

Advertisement

Do you have any experience with programming or game development? Do you plan to use an engine or are you looking to do it from scratch?

Which kind of RPG do you want to make? Even a simple RPG (like Final Fantasy 1) can be fairly complex for a beginner. Depending on the style, using an engine like RPG Maker can be better. But any modern engine or library should be enough for this.

Edouard said:
is JS wrong language for coding games?

It's just a language. Not inherently better or worse than others. If there's tools that use javascript (and there are many), you can make games with it. If you're new to programming, don't try to start making complex games. Start with the language basics and simpler games.

Edouard said:
However I was learning coding in Javascript and seems it didnt help me at all.

That is what you get with general purpose languages, they are not geared towards some subset of applications. So yes they are more work to get off the ground, but they don't make many assumptions so you get a lot of room to do things as you want.

You may want to look for libraries or frameworks or engines on top of JS that assist you.

If you want to use JS then go for phaser or babylon library. But better if you learn Unity and C# instead. Seems like you lack a sense of direction, you should follow some tutorial. Btw making an RPG is really complex task.you will have ton of stuff in just one project and it will be very messy, so you better read about how to structure project in unity. One more thing you should do is to learn C# before opening Unity.

There are tutorials for example on YouTube which cover some basics. RPGs are not more complex than other games, they need just different gameplay mechanics.

Javascript can be a good language if you intend to make mobile games for example using Cocos 2D or by writjng a native app using NodeJS and Angular

Edouard said:
JS wrong language for coding games?

I like to study TypeScript and pure WebGL to write 2D and 3D games from scratch. I study C# and OpenGL 3 for Desktop/Mobile. I will write game servers in Node.js/TS/WebSockets and host them on free Heroku hosting. Author of C# and TypeScript is Anders Hejlsberg TypeScript is similar to C#. You can use Phaser (for 2D games) or Babylon.js (for 2D games) with JavaScript (or TypeScript). I think that TypeScript is better for games that JavaScript.

If you want to study shaders in WebGL and JavaScript you can start with this book: WebGL Programming Guide

If you want to start to study writing you own 2D game engine you can start here: Build Your Own 2D Game Engine and Create Great Web Games: Using HTML5, JavaScript, and WebGL

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement