🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I've Outscope myself!

Started by
1 comment, last by jbadams 4 years, 4 months ago

HA HA

I am a beginner and i have been playing around with php and making a browser based text game

Everyone i speak to on forums says to be careful about scope and not go too big, i have always been like.. pfft sure i wont.

So..

My Game.

Its a txt base sandbox space game.

Its full player economy driver and based on eve online crossed with torn city

for example when you first log in you have to go mining. you are in a region and you mine some ore and then take it to a factory at a station in the region and refine it. to begin with you have a blueprint for a ship and you mine and refine the ore and then make the ship.. you can then travel to other systems.

You can interact with planets, meet other players in chat, trade with them, loot things in space, use the Auction house etc.. i wanted everything to be from scratch so no ships or ammo or equipment ready, you have to mine and build and trade etc… there is only going to be 50 systems/regions..

Lets begin..

I make the region and have asteroids and try to hook them up..and… right… NOW I understand about scope hahahaha.

My new game..

has one system and you can mine asteroid fields :P

Advertisement

Scope creep is definitely something to be wary of, better to have a smaller project that you can actually finish than to spend years spinning your wheels without actually completing anything.

What you have seems like a good base you could build off and add more content over time if you wanted to, or take the lessons you've learned and move on to something new! ?

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement