🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Gameplay programming?

Started by
4 comments, last by flisterthree 3 years, 6 months ago

So, I'm 100% completely new to anything & everything related to programming. But, I've done some research, and gameplay programming seems really cool. I like the thought of implementing controls from the player, to the characters in-game. I'm on square one right now, so, where should I go from here? What is expected of me? What should I know/learn? HOW to know/learn? I just need guidance. Please and thank you.

Advertisement

scratch and logo are said to be well suited to begin with. I tried scratch, and after one hour of head-scratching I found out that I had intitially placed the cat beyond the screen borders. For me it was much easier to start on the command line. Do some text adventure “return to zork” for the first week.

JesusCamden said:
What should I know/learn? HOW to know/learn? I just need guidance.

Pick a programming language, it doesn't matter much which one, I 'd suggest to avoid c++ and start with a more friendly one, like Python or C# or Java (where C# leads to Unity).

First step is to learn the language, so some programming exercises. Alternatively, if you're more a learn-by-doing person, pick an old retro game like pong (ie as simple as possible), and code it. Then pick a slightly more complicated game, code that, etc etc.

It sounds like you have ambition but you don't know where the ambition actually is. I would recommend you go buy yourself a notebook with blank pages think a game that you would like to do. You need to find out what you enjoy the most; is it the art work or writing the code? Since you mentioned game play programming, I would guess you probably enjoy creating content for games but not so much the programming aspect of it. Try out Unity, it will abstract from the internals of the game allowing you to focus on what you really want to make.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement