Advertisement

I am no game developer...

Started by March 29, 2020 01:49 AM
15 comments, last by CanvasBushi 4 years, 5 months ago

Beosar said:
assuming it's not a very simple game you will probably need at least $500,000.

lol its not a battle ship, games don't cost this much to make.

Rutin said:
I run several companies

good for u, bragging much? these days even a child is able to run a company effectively.

Rutin said:
I would remain as a silent partner and only act as a shareholder while someone more competent directs the business.

in other words he's telling you not to make your own dream game.

Rutin said:
Ideas are a dime a dozen and mean nothing…

now he's just insulting you, omg how many freaks are going to use this line without really understanding what it means.

Rutin said:
Since the original poster has no game development experience having someone else at the helm would be best advised for many reasons.

top reason would be to ruin your vision and end up making someone else's game. imagine hiring rutin as your project manager when he really doesnt see eye to eye with you on your “ideas”

Rutin said:
You might want to re-read my entire response to the original poster as I'm confused on your reply.

i already made fun of you enough so ill let this one slide, besides the OP liked your comments so who knows maybe he's going to take your advice.

CanvasBushi said:
games don't cost this much to make.

Many games do cost that much. Many cost a lot more. Rutin was right to say that a not-simple game can cost a half million. That is actually a pretty low budget - depending on what kind of game is contemplated.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement

CanvasBushi said:

Beosar said:
assuming it's not a very simple game you will probably need at least $500,000.

A battleship is more like 500,000,000. 500,000 for a game is on the low end, unless you are doing everything yourself and don't need to eat. Anything that is more than a simple 2D game will cost a lot of money.

Tom Sloper said:
Rutin was right to say that a not-simple game can cost a half million.

Hey!

okay whatever you say.

Beosar said: assuming it's not a very simple game you will probably need at least $500,000.

CanvasBushi said:

We don't even know if this is Tic Tac Toe, or a full fledged MMORPG. Maybe games don't cost that much for “you” to make if you're attempting to take advantage of people by having them work on your games by way of “rev-share” which is essentially free labour with high expectations that come with a very high probability those involved will never see a dime.

Rutin said: I run several companies

CanvasBushi said:
good for u, bragging much? these days even a child is able to run a company effectively.

Again, taken out of context… You might be right… Running a lemonade stand could be operated by a child, but it doesn't hold the same complexity as running game development business. If you would go into business in an industry you don't understand and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to play “boss” then great, open up your dress-up chest and get started! Going even further, why would you expect your team members to follow you through this journey without any experience being in their shoes or even understanding what goes on in ‘their’ industry? Maybe you're a low performer, but I wouldn't work for someone who I couldn't respect… We're not talking about a job at Taco Bell here.

Rutin said: I would remain as a silent partner and only act as a shareholder while someone more competent directs the business.

CanvasBushi said:
in other words he's telling you not to make your own dream game.

Absolutely not, you would hire that individual to carry out your “dream game”, but you would step back and not be involved in the direct operations. That doesn't mean you don't have expectations for executives within a company. The key is finding someone who can share in your vision with the ability to carry it out.

Rutin said: You might want to re-read my entire response to the original poster as I'm confused on your reply.

CanvasBushi said:
i already made fun of you enough so ill let this one slide, besides the OP liked your comments so who knows maybe he's going to take your advice.

Actually your replies speak volumes on your own lack of experience and understanding about game development. Many people come around various game development forums spouting about having an idea with no experience and they usually receive similar responses.

I wont address you any further as you've taken my comments out of context more than once to suit whatever narrative you're attempting to convey. Aside from not appearing to have any game development experience under your belt based on your comments, you also lack business sense and awareness of how things run outside of your lemonade stand operation.

Programmer and 3D Artist

Rutin said:
Maybe games don't cost that much for “you” to make if you're attempting to take advantage of people by having them work on your games by way of “rev-share” which is essentially free labour with high expectations that come with very high probability those involved will never see a dime.

omg a personal attack, im so scared…

Rutin said:
Running a lemonade stand could be operated by a child, but it doesn't hold the same complexity as running game development business.

it could be a strawberry lemonade shop, complexities exist in all types of business. im not here to swear that game development is the most important and complex business because its not.

Rutin said:
Absolutely not, you would hire that individual to carry out your “dream game”, but you would step back and not be involved in the direct operations.

i repeat, “in other words he's telling you not to make your own dream game.” project manager X will so see to it your vision is realized while u enjoy cocktails and cigarettes by the pool(sarcasm cuz he totally will just make his own vision of what he thinks is good). sorry if i assumed the project manager's gender, i know there are female project managers too xD

Rutin said:
Actually your replies speak volumes on your own lack of experience and understanding about game development.

you're assuming how high/low is my level of experience and understanding?

Rutin said:
I wont address you any further as you've taken my comments out of context

aww, you're hurting my feelings.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement